sako a1 223 varmint barrel!!

hi,i wonder if anyone could give me any advice with a problem i have found with my rifle,the rifle in question is a sako a1 223 with a varmint barrel,it has a t4br moderator attached to it which came with it when i bought it about 6 months ago,i noticed yesterday when zeroing it that the barrel was touching the end of the stock and i know it's supposed to be a floating barrel,this must be due to the weight of the moderator but even when i take the moderator of it's still slighty touching the wood.i tried rubbing where the barrel touches the stock with sandpaper but i don't want to go to far as i ain't no gunsmith,i take it that the barrel harmonics will mess up the accuracy if it's touching the stock,anybody got any advice please or point me in the right direction?many thanks in advance!!

hi,i wonder if anyone could give me any advice with a problem i have found with my rifle,the rifle in question is a sako a1 223 with a varmint barrel,it has a t4br moderator attached to it which came with it when i bought it about 6 months ago,i noticed yesterday when zeroing it that the barrel was touching the end of the stock and i know it's supposed to be a floating barrel,this must be due to the weight of the moderator but even when i take the moderator of it's still slighty touching the wood.i tried rubbing where the barrel touches the stock with sandpaper but i don't want to go to far as i ain't no gunsmith,i take it that the barrel harmonics will mess up the accuracy if it's touching the stock,anybody got any advice please or point me in the right direction?many thanks in advance!!

how does it shoot ? if it shoots well leave it mate. im sure some of the older sakos are pressure bedded ? ive heard of this. some guy on the deer stalking site floated the barrel on his. and he said the accuracy went tits up?

so just be careful and if it shoots well leave well alone i would

Personally I would float the barrel no hesitation..Take off the stock ,wrap some sandpaper around a piece of dowling and ensure its a snug fit in the barrel channel and give it a few strokes up and down the channel,refit action complete with moddy and keep sanding and refitting until you have good clearance all the way back to the lug area.This is so easy to do and you really should not mess up any accuracy only improve it.Once done coat the sandpapered area with some clear sealant,laquer etc.You most probably will have to re zero and possibly work up another load if you home load,thats all.cheers Onehole.

The older sako varmint is just too heavy for its stock. There is not enough meat under

the reciever to support the barrel adequately which ultimately results in the barrel

touching the stock.

I had the same problem with my L461. I got it rebarrelled by Niel McKillop, who, after much

persuading and against his better judgment, fitted a longer barrel with the same profile,

and, on the condition that I bedded it, and bedded it a few inches up the barrel too. He

kindly made me a couple of pillars with which to do the job properly.

With any wooden stocked varmint rifle, consider bedding it, it will make it a lot more

consistent and cure the problem you are experiencing.

And don’t forget to seal the bit you sanded. :)

Rup

Archived