500 new acres

charly hunter

This is some new land that I have just got which runs along side a lot of forestry woodland which I know hold a resonable head of deer, but I am not there for them I want the vermin.

Last night beging the first night I have been on this ground to shoot it, I have been around the ground in day light as I woudn't attempt to lamp ground that I haven't looked around. Millpool and Doug turns up at mine at 19.00 hrs and after a quick cuppa' we go to pick up Silent souls.

Well into the first field after a quick drive from Silent's house close the gate behind us and shut the engine off so we can get the lamps, rifles etc sorted. But at this point I looks around and I said to the guys "we won't do much tonight, it's to quiet"

And although it was a cracking night no moon to show us up but no cloud and all you could see was the glory of god's dot to dot book, at this point I look to the west and see a huge bright shooting star, some say that is lucky, I guess it was as we didn't draw a blank ;)

But no sooner we started across the first fields the fog crept around us smuthering all but 10 yds infront of us. As we moved to higher ground it got better so we stopped on top a hill and had a call and Silent has a cracking little call but it wasn't good enough tonight so after a bit I took over and it wasn't long before a fox came in sneaking slowly up the hedge keeping to a small bit of dead ground. After a lot of coaxing this one decided to disapear, none of us saw him go we just guested he had gone through the hedge.

By now the fog is creeping up over the hill so it was time to go the other side of the hill, as the crow flies probable 1.5 miles, here it was better, no fog but quiet, so quiet you could hear the cows fart in the next field, not a breath of wind.

Millpool was on the .22 and Doug with his 22-250 I pulled up on this steep hill looking down towards the forestry and had a call, after a minute or so our first customer was a local cat but not far behind was a fox heading right towards the cat. From expirience I knew the fox wouldn't come past the cat and sure enough off he goes at a great rate of knots. Well between myself and Silent we kept calling for a while longer and then we got another customer. This time Doug's rifle erupted into life with an awsome loud crack, pop. Even though it was moderated, on a night like this it roared about the valley below us.

Poor Millpool had a bad night as he only conected with a dozen, but then that is a dozen that won't go on to bread. It was now 0.20 hrs so we headed for home, and we haven't been on the other half of the 500 acres, so if I am well enough you can guess where I shall be tonihgt ;)

Doug with his 130 yrd dog fox;

dougs130yrdnu3.jpg

Hi Panther, no we are not having frost yet, although if you listen to Millpool moaning about the cold you would think it was sub zero ;);) It has cone a little cooler by night but not cold enough for me to put a coat or jersey on yet. But then I am told the old do feel the cold ;):lol:

Millpool you are very welcome pard.

Guest 308Panther

A nip of Irish can fix some of that bellyachin

Sposed to be good for the Roomatiz..... :D

We had one or 2 light frosts....just enough to

cut down on some of the other critters....

Skeeters or more accuratley Mosquitos.

Walk a 1/4 mile in to set dekes for goose and

a body sure can stir them up....

Lottsa lumps on the guy that forgets the spray.

Try and sit still when being attacked in force is an impossibility.

Never seen them this bad...so the light frosts were welcomed.

As will a hard frost too...it throws the does into cycle.

If there is one word that can make even the lightestweight hunter

go weak in the knees and the hardcore hunters eyes glaze it would

have to be.....

Rut

308Panther

Hi Panther, we have our share of mossies too, but it hasn't been cold enough to stop the buggers from biting yet.

As for the Irish it would be fine for these guys to drink it but not on nights out shooting, they don't need any help in shooting bad :lol::lol: And as I am the driver and with the amount of pills I take I can't drink at all, hell if I get a sniff of the bar maids apron I am anybodies and 2 sniffs and I will be every bodies :D;)

I have some good mates that are American and when they were based over here they would love to come lamping with me as they couldn't do it back home they filled there boots while they were here. Well these boys could drink in the end I had to put a stop to there drinking whilst out shooting as they were bringing a cooler full out with them and spend more time drinking that shooting. Boy can they buggers drink, but it never got out of hand that there was anything stupid being done.

My mate Rob was a crack shot he did a sniper course while he was in the marines and somewhere I have a photo of him with a fox he shot right between the eye while it was walking side on to us and looking in our direction and this was after dark, I had some real good times with those guys and I sure miss there company.

Good read C/H always nice to get some new ground especialy if you know it will produce the goods,douse it not get a bit confusing having so many shooters or do you just take it in turns

Hi FS I don't allow them all to shoot at once, I have two on the back of the truck, one with a .22 for the rabbits and one with a cf for any foxes. I normally only take two with me but Jamie had no truck on the road at the moment and he enjoys coming out to watch as he is only now learninng about the foxing, he is a deer and long range man really, so this side of shooting is somthing he want's to learn and I enjoy his company, until he stats cracking jokes :D I think he gets them from his kids lolly pop sticks :lol:

Sounds like you have a good set up and team of mates then even though the jokes are a bit iffy makes a good night though when there is some good crack ,no doubt jamie will learn very quickley

He's a top bloke and will do anything to help folks. I have a regular team of top guys and we have some great nights out. I have just secured another 2000 plus acres of MOD land for us to shoot on the only thing now will be to get them all together so there mug shots can be taken for there passes, hell it's bad enough looking at them at night let alone a photo in day light :D:lol:

Guest 308Panther

Hi Nigel,

I suggested the Irish as for medicinal purposes for Millpool when it

would be done on the off nights...when no shooting is

being done...or reloading.

It wasnt meant to offend.

We dont need any accidents,

Yeah...some of the so called "Hunters" over here

do like to pour them down....and many,many never even

leave the huntin cabin much less see deer....or if they are seein

deer they see 4 of them...and try to shoot all 4.

Many deer are run down with the truck on the way to the bar.

Sad,but true fact....some even feel that doing so is comical and amusing.

I even know of a case where a guy dropped a doe and legally tagged it

gutted it,walked 200 yrds back to the cabin to get help draggin it off.

He was gone a total of 15 mins...and when him and the party got back to the

kill site....The deer was gone.His tag was even removed,and it was layin on

the gut pile.

I know of another case where a guy drops a deer,with one shot,Nobody around in Blaze Orange

and as the hunter is tagging it and gutting it....A guy walks up to him and says that He shot the deer

and the guy that is tagging it doesnt have claim to it.Even tho there is no other bullet wound on it,the second guy still claims its his,A County Sherriff had to be brought in to settle that dispute.

These are some of the biggest reasons I avoid hunting public land.

Nothing wrong with the camaraderie of hunting,teamwork and a good

get together....or even bad jokes.And as the years pass the memories

just get better as does the "Good Times"....

To have access to that much land and to

be able to get out as often as you do makes you very very fortunate.

Congrats on the acquisition of some more land to hunt on.

308Panther

Hi Panther, no offense was taken pard, I have thicker skin that a rhino, I need it with the likes we have here in Cornwall :(

I have been told some horror stories about deer hunts in the USA but thankfully they are few and far between. I'm sure you have as many idiots as we have here, but like you we learn how to avoid them :lol:

Archived