Six for the visitors

Guest apollo

Guest apollo

Dog fox had a few gentlemen over for a few days who wanted to try a bit of fox lamping as they dont get the chance in there own land, which is a shame, so we went for a couple of hours local.

The night started very well with the first two being shot in quick succession and it was decieded to change the trigger man, through no fault of the man on the butt the night slowed and we didnt see any thing to get a shot off at for a long time.

We packed up and headed over to foxy`s permission and got the gentleman back in the box and soon had a fox for him to shoot , he managed to stop him in his tracks but straight away another one popped up, he wouldn`t stand for him so we moved around after him and managed to stop him for a shot, and another and another then with the forth it was shot.

Swapped back and moved down the road as we were about to pack up and move on to the next bit a long range fox was spotted so we settled down to call but it was having none of it so the shot would be taken from the spot we were on, after a bit of movement in the box as the gun man and lamp man got comfortable there was silence for what seemed like ages but was soon shattered by the sound of the .22 br (UN MODERATED) letting loose the round that the fox didn`t hear or feel, strike home.

Off we went to another block of land and the man in the box accounted for a good long shot after a lot of chasing and calling he managed to pull off a good clean shot, we swapped them over again and set off for home, nothing seen on the last stretch so we packed up at 3.30 am and went home to bed...........

DSCF1494.jpg

Guest apollo

Sadly the land they live in (germany) dose`nt allow it so they had not been allowed to have a go before so they did enjoy it, we also took them out on the bunnies the night before, they managed about 50 before close of play...............

Guest 308Panther
Sadly the land they live in (germany) dose`nt allow it so they had not been allowed to have a go before so they did enjoy it, we also took them out on the bunnies the night before, they managed about 50 before close of play...............

Ahhh....That explains alot.

50 bunnies will keep anyone busy.

Only things we can shoot at night are Coons and Coyotes.

We have a season and limit on coon.Coyotes are year round

except during the gun deer season....In certain areas it closes incase

they get mistaken for wolves wich is a really bad thing.

Get caught shooting a wolf and its big time Game Over.....

Loose everything...Guns,vehicle,Land and House....

308Panther

Panther I have heard a lot about the coon hunting over your side of the pond, a mate of mine used to do it and another does a lot of rabbiting with Beagles that sounds like a lot of fun also. I have had the offer to go and join them on some hunts and who knows I might just get to do it one day.

Rob is big into his Beagles and enjoys working them, unfortunatly he could not do it over here as we just don't have enough land as they buggers can range a long way so he tells me, I haven't spoke to him in a while but now he's back in the states I bet he's having fun.

Do you do much of that sort of hunting?

Guest 308Panther

I have had offers to run behind some very nice BlueTick Coonhounds also...

Champion bloodlines too,or so I been told.

The idea of runnin behind them and treeing them,then taking them out

with a single shot thru the eye sounds like a lot of work to me.The offer comes from

a guy that shoots them for fur....and meat.

Pelts in prime are about $7-10 apiece.

I have eaten it.......It may be an acquired taste?

And to be honest its one I dont have.

Very fatty,No amount of Open Pit Sauce removes

the tallow build up from the palate.

Kinda like lamb...but times it by 100.

I am a bit of an opportunist.I wait till they raid the jam bowl that we set out

for the Baltimore Orioles....Baltimore's love Gape Jam,and we have large desert bowl on a wound copper wire hanging with a large blue marble that acts as a counterbalance.the Coons hit this and stretch the windings of the cooper wire...the wire is a single strand is 3/16 in. in diameter.

The .17 HMR is very effective.

or

I use the shotgun and hit them when goin to or from the fields when Goose Hunting and

catch them in the act of raiding the corn fields or corn crib as the sun is just rising.

I like to wait till they show the "destructive side" so to speak....Then it classifies a a varmint

more then small game.

I would love to hunt bunny behind a nicely trained Beagle...

a good one will not only circle them back to ya but will do it on a walk as well....Or so I have heard.

My extent of bunny huntin is snow drift busting with another person and poppin them with a shotgun.

.410's are awesome for this as are 28 and 20 guages...12ga gets abit bloody if ya hit them on a full choke so I let them out a bit and use an open choke or an IC choke.

I once knew a guy that used a HK MP 5....

His only comment on it was... :D

If you got the chance take him up on the offer.

308Panther

That seems a lot of work for little return 7-10 bucks doesn't seem a lot!!!!

Rob has told me that his Beagles would flush a rabbit and all you would have to do is sit and wait where the dog flushed him from as he would chase the rabbit right back toward you for you to shoot him, even if it ran 3 fields it would always come back to where it started. Sounds like a lot of fun to me, I love to see good dogs working, and Rob knew how to train a dog too. He had a Beagle while he was here and poor old Charley was gun shy but with a good deal of work Rob trained well enough that Charley would love to hunt pheasant with us. He also got a Spaniel while he was here and although he knew nothing about training one he joined the local gundog club and learned all he could and I helped him out and now he has a lovely little bitch which I have one of here pups and is a clone of here mum. If a dog is a good working dog no matter what the discipline I love to see them work.

Guest 308Panther

It is a lot of work for the return....

The guys that do it are some hardcore mothers....

Used to live just down the road from one....

Alot of the guys quit after the big price drop about 15-20 years ago.

Some do it for fun,or for somethin to do...some do it just to keep the

dog's bloodlines goin....once your an established breeder and your

dogs champion you can get the big bucks from the sale of the offspring..

Theres some boys down Virginny way that do the same on Bear.

and we got our Northern Boys that run dogs on Bear as well too

the differance bein the Virginny boys release.Or let the Bear go.

Out West some do the same on Cougar....But I never heard of them lettin a

Cougar go....You never give a Cat a second chance.

308Panther

Hi Charly Hunter

Have a look at this link.

http://www.myoutdoortv.com/index8.php?opti...=98&Itemid=

There was a guy who had a pack of beagles next door to the farm I was staying on when I was in the states in June.I did not get a chance to have a good look at the beagles but if I get a chance to go over again I will try to get a invite :D .

I love hunting with a beagle pack in this country.It is great fun and they are happy hound to work with.

I would just like to say a big thanks to the boys Ed & Twanky for showing my two guests two good nights lamping.I know you have wildboar shooting in the UK but if you ever fancy a change there is always one in Germany with your name on it :lol: .

Dogfox

Looks like you done a good job for the german visitors apollo,must have been a good experience for them to have such a good night,only to pleased we dont have the restrictions they have

Guest apollo

Any time foxy, its not as if its like having a tooth pulled its the crack for us that makes the night and anyway twank did manage a sneeky shot after all.

We all need to help others who are not so fortunate in there boundrys as others, just remember who got me my first roe because we didnt have any and didnt say owt when i ended up with three :D its swings and roundabouts mate.

Foxshot mate we tried our best and they enjoyed it all, as i know you would do.............eddie

Archived