Anyone use 123g Amax in 6.5x47

Hi guys

I am developing a load with 123g Scenars at the moment but I will be doing plenty of varminting and I think the A max will be more suitable for greater expansion on rabbits etc....So can anyone share their finding with A max in this calibre including seating depth (distance from lands or into etc).

Cheers,

Si

You're quite correct about the Scenars- they're quite hard and just pencil straight through small critters, even close up. I was expecting a cloud of fur or feathers but was disappointed, although not in the point of impact

Chris-NZ

You're quite correct about the Scenars- they're quite hard and just pencil straight through small critters, even close up. I was expecting a cloud of fur or feathers but was disappointed, although not in the point of impact

Chris-NZ

I found you have to push the Scenars quite fast to get the accuracy and that probably doesn't help with expansion, SMK's aren't quite as fussy but are primarily a target bullet.

130 'Hunting' Berger VLD's are great but expensive and hard to get hold of.

A Max's I've only tried the 140's which I think were a bit heavy for my barrel and didn't group that well but I've had great results with them in other calibre's so I would expect the 123's to be excellent if you can get an accurate load.

Cheers,

Phil

I will order some 123g A max tomorrow so I can test them over the holidays. I think that they will be a good all-round bullet if I can get them shooting well.

So when you guys are saying the Scenars drilled through - did they not kill cleanly?

Cheers,

Si

Anything small that has a 6.5 drill through it at high velocity isn't gonna live but I like to -see- the hits. Example- shot quite a few magpies and rabbits last weekend, some at less than 100yds, but there were far fewer feathers/fur flying than I'd get from my .223 with 53 grainers.

I have most of a packet of 108gr Sierra Matchkings so might try these on varmints to see if I can get a more spectacular effect

Chris-NZ

"Almost" as good as 108/123 scenars but you want to do varminting? Amax expand really really well ,match heads do not.At 200 yards the Amax will do 1/2 moa no problem and give clean kills a long way past this.I have two 500 count lots of Amax in 123g and consistency in all dimensions are spot on.These heads are relatively new, hope Hornady keep up the tolerances in manufacturing.Onehole.

Archived