first blood for new .22lr, 150 yard crow!!!!!!

craigyboy

Just back from the back yard they have just ploughed the feilds behind me and the crows had been landing in all day. At the minute My centrefire rifle is away so got my new .22lr sako varmint out put one winchester sub in the mag and loaded up, I ranged the crow at 154 yards with a quatering 7 mph wind from the right, I had only sighted in this rifle during the week so hadnt time to work out holdovers etc for this particular scope/rifle combo (I always use a mildot on the rimfire and just hold over instead of dialling in like I do with the centrefire rifle) but over years I have shot about 15,000 .22lr rounds so know the round well enough to estimate drop, held up 3 mildots and a mildot to the right, bang flop one dead crow hit him right dead centre of the chest and a great first blood for the new rifle. I know by centrefire standards this would be a close range shot but for the little .22lr I am well chuffed with it my previous longest kill with my sako hunter .22lr was 120 yards, maybe ill try for 200 yards next? Nah I will quite while I am ahead.

here is me looking well chuffed.

STP60851.jpg

Guest 308Panther

Well Now...

I can finally put a connection to the term..."Well Chuffed"

You are aware every time I read it I am going to have a mental pic of

CB holdin his rifle and a dead Crow.... ;)

Just Kidding...

Nice Shooting there CB

308Panther

Awsom shot for the 22 lr Craigyboy i gues thats the good thing about knowing how your gun shoots dont think i have shot over 100 with my 22 shot plenty rabbits under

Well done Craigboy,

Great shooting, I have the same and wouldn't change it , it loves Eley hp xtras. Never tried a long range shot like that but you have alot more 22lr experience. I tend to use mine only 6-7 times a year for some serious bunny bashing outing. They must be one of the best 22lr around.

Well done pard, you got to try the 200 now it will kill them at that range easy enough, I had a rabbit some years back while I was out with Varminter, the first shot I missed but I saw where it struck the ground so I held over the extra and I was just an inch or so short, the dumbv rabbit stayed there so it was third time lucky. I was fortunate that I was aiming up a hedge and I had some good leaves to aim at so I could go back to the same leaf and add the inch or so, I also had no wind to worrie about, but just the same the little winchester sub killed it clean.

Archived