first two on new land

Guest varmartin

Guest varmartin

I don`t have many predator calls, so I got my self a well known WAM call off of Ebay.

Went out last night to see if it was any good.

I drove down the lane to the farm at about 9.30 pm and stopped next to a barn, set up the rifle on the roof of the Patrol and flicked the lamp on in the first field.

To our surprise we counted three foxes running amongst the cattle. Two ran out of sight over the brow line of the field but one stopped in a clearing and with my mate on the lamp I let the shot off, a good sounding hit with the foxes tail going out straight like a bar but did not drop on the spot as expected but legged it behind some cattle and disappeared....not a good start.

We spent 20 mins looking but did not find a thing.

We then drove through an open gate adjacent to the direction of the other foxes. Finding a nice vantage point over looking two large fields we set up on the roof again and I started to call with the WAM. After a few min`s my mate flicked on the lamp in front of us and we could both clearly see eyes in the next field, lookiing through the scope I spotted the second fox some way off. I said to my mate keep an eye out behind us as well, and bugger me there was another fox in the hedge approx 125 yard away side on . I told him to get down from the tail gate and shine the lamp from the side of the truck while I lay on the roof facing the other way. I let the shot off dropping it on the spot. I noticed an entry wound in its shoulder junction but no exit , and its chest cavity was a bag of mush !!

resizewizard2ok6.jpg

Our attention returned to the other fox in the next field but it could not be seen. Getting back on the call for a min or so we could see the eyes again. Off with the lamp and a bit more calling and the fox came charging in like a bat out of hell !!

I had to shout at it to get it to stop, sitting upright facing me boom down it went, this one was approx 120 yards. No exit wound on this one either ??? most odd tonight as the Amax usually exits with a gaping hole . ??

resizewizard1ov0.jpg

We both had an enjoyable couple of hours with this new call which seemed to work very well.

Rifle used..Sako 75 .223. --Loaded with 75 Amax

Martin

Guest 308Panther

Looks like ya had a good night.

The Wam seems to have done the trick for ya.

Still waitin for the kid and Angel to get back from the

E ward....Seems the kid had her fingers someplace they

shouldnt have been....There seems to be alot of that goin around,lately

They been gone for about 3 hrs or so.Its gonna be an all night thing,too.

End of the month is one of the worst times to go for medical treatments....

The Friday/Saturday Night Knife and Gun Club keep the E Wards pretty busy.

308Panther

Good to see you had a great night buddy - pleased for ya!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sorry i could not join ya - but i was home in bed with a tumbler of whiskey to get rid of this stinkin cold!!! :D:lol:

Be glad when i can get out again!!!

Well done on a unsuccessful evening buddy!!!! :lol: :lol:

All the best.................

RAY................................. ;):lol:

Guest varmartin
A good night Martin always great when a plan comes together.

Have you tried any of those tracer yet?

Cheers

Dave

Not tried them yet Dave....saving them for a rainy day....well a nice day any way. ;)

got weekend off so will try them then and let you know.

Martin

Nice going there Varmartin,Mrs Onehole was out with me on Saturday and was bustin bunnies at 410 yds!! two in a row,but let me get one of those cubs we missed out on some time back at 310 yds.There is a least one more there,we seen it again at 560 yds and its waitin fer you when u wanna come up sometime soon.Drag Varminter out of bed or he may get stuck between the sheets!!!!cheers onehole.

Guest varmartin

Onehole,

Wifes Birthday on Friday, but got Sat off. If the weather is good and your up for it then perhaps we can all meat up ?? ;)

Good shooting Mrs onehole, 410 yards :D Awesome..think you need to change your name though ;) ;)

Martin

Hi Guy ive been lurking for a week or so and ill use this post to say a bit "hi" to everyone! :rolleyes:

some of you guys will know me from the other sites! :rolleyes:

WAM callers are outstanding we used one to good efect yesterday morning & ive had at leat 50 foxs with it in the last 2 years!

The only downside is if theres a bit of wind they dont carry very well !

Ive just got a new "primo raspy coaxer" which is going to get a roadtest first thing tomorrow morning! :rolleyes:(much louder & sounds good!

Ill keep u posted!

Great nights shooting by the way!

Andy

Hi Guy ive been lurking for a week or so and ill use this post to say a bit "hi" to everyone! :rolleyes:

some of you guys will know me from the other sites! :rolleyes:

WAM callers are outstanding we used one to good efect yesterday morning & ive had at leat 50 foxs with it in the last 2 years!

The only downside is if theres a bit of wind they dont carry very well !

Ive just got a new "primo raspy coaxer" which is going to get a roadtest first thing tomorrow morning! :rolleyes: (much louder & sounds good!

Ill keep u posted!

Great nights shooting by the way!

Andy

hi Andy

i have been using the rapsy coaxer for some time now,and i find it very good, at certain times of year, but i don't think any call works all the time.there just seems certain times of year they will not come in for anything

ATB

Colin :D

Guest varmartin

Hi Andy ...welcome to the site.

Col48...know what you mean about varying your calls and trying others if one type wont work.

I was out and about without rifle yesterday in civy clothing, but had a couple of different calls to try out.

tried the WAM first and i spotted a couple of foxes mid afternoon, the call just got there attention , it did not `call` them in so i tried a` haydell rasper ?? that got one running straight at me.

Seen another..neither call got its attention but a normal whistle just using my mouth worked a treat.

Some people will say "now I have educated these foxes"...but I look at is as these foxes educated me :rolleyes:

Martin

hi Andy

i have been using the rapsy coaxer for some time now,and i find it very good, at certain times of year, but i don't think any call works all the time.there just seems certain times of year they will not come in for anything

ATB

Colin :rolleyes:

Hi Col

Tried it out this morning but didnt get lucky :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cant win em all!

Poped a bunny & a crow then rush home for work!

Ill have another go sat morn i think!

Andy

Guest varmartin
I hope you were no where near my land trying out your calls, I have enough knob heads going on my ground as it is.

What`s it got to do with you if i WAS any were near YOUR land ? :rolleyes:

I did not realise you have the right to call and shoot every fox in cornwall.

Whats up with you ....calling people knob heads ?

Watch your mouth.

Martin

Hi martin!!!

Good read and good pic,s there my mate!!!!!

Nice to see that you are having some fun,, Always nice to get some fresh land to shoot on :)<_< ,, As i said to ray the other night, we have been out shooting crows and foxes none stop for the last month!!!!

Most of the time i have been using my 17 hmr and i must say that i love it to bits!!!!

Just got the total up to 71 foxes for this year!!!! And a fair few where shot with the 17 hmr,,, I might start to use it a lot more and give my sako a rest as the round count is geting a bit high now???

Take care f2n :)

Martin I have taken you out enough times that even you should realize how hard it is to call and shoot foxes if they have been educated. And your right I don't have the right to call and shoot every fox in Cornwall, but thanks anyway who knows I might even return the favor one day pard.

Before you start shouting your mouth off why don't you try asking " what knob heads" and I will tell you, I have had knob heads on my land with lurcher's coursing hares illegally.

Come to think of it I have even had the old bill knocking on my door once because of someone with no permission was shooting on some land which only I have had permission to shoot on with a firearm, although there are others that shoot there with a air rifle / shot gun, but I didn't call them knob heads as I thought they were friends, I guess I was wrong.

Guest varmartin
I hope you were no where near my land trying out your calls, I have enough knob heads going on my ground as it is.

Nigel....may be you should think a bit longer about how you write a post before you post it., As yours clearly has implications.

Quote...`charly hunter`

[Come to think of it I have even had the old bill knocking on my door once because of someone with no permission was shooting on some land which only I have had permission to shoot on with a firearm, although there are others that shoot there with a air rifle / shot gun, but I didn't call them knob heads as I thought they were friends, I guess I was wrong.]

If you are talking about that one time the old bill knocked on your door...then `YES` you were `wrong` with regard the permission on that land near the golf course , I was a guest that day and you need to discuss it with someone other than me if you think you have sole permission..

I do not enjoy conflict within this forum and feel you always have a dig at my posts ?? I don`t know why..

If you want to explain then PM me ...

Martin

Martin I feel sorry that you feel that I always have a dig at you but I reckon that all on here that know me know I have harmless p*%s taking with all and most folks here are always saying how we Cornish bays are always taking it out of each other.

"quote" I do not enjoy conflict within this forum and feel you always have a dig at my posts ?? I don`t know why..

I also have a dig at Ray, Trevor, Jamie, Dave and you may not be aware of this but the lads down here are always having a dig at each other YOU INCLUDED. Until now it was know as taking the p*%s but with no malice intended.

I am sorry you have got the hump with me pard but that is your prerogative, I am glad you invited yourself out with me and that I was good enough to take you out and show you how I go about lamping foxes and rabbits and that I could give you another string to your bow, I am very glad to have been of some assistance and that you can now go out with your mates and show them how you do it, I am also very glad that you are having a good time out with your new talent as Lamping is a sport to be shared and enjoyed by all who wish to get involved. I am willing to take folks out on all my land not just keep it to myself and when these guys have learned enough that they can go out and get land and do it themselves I am delighted for them, Cornwall is a big enough place for all of us, there are some that do not agree with me they would rather keep it to themselves as they have a small team that they go out with regularly and want to keep it that way and that is fine by me, I happen to enjoy sharing what I have and if someone can benefit from a night or three out with me I know I can smile when I go to bed.

Guest varmartin

Harmless pi** taking....Oh thats ok then ...my mistake... sorry about that :)

Nigel add some smilies when you take the pi** so we all know how it is intended....knob head ;):)<_<:P

Martin

Archived