any one use them and are they any good

I use a Predator 10x40 and having owned a few others from different brands I am extremely happy with it. It has excellent low light capability and is pin sharp from edge to edge.

You won't be disappointed.

Best,

George

Steiner is an interesting "in between" brand. I haven't researched it in a while but despite the Germanic name, it's not exactly a sibling of Zeiss, Leitz etc, but occupies what ought to be a significantly lower-priced market sector since key components are of Asian manufacture (my original information was that optical sub-assemblies came from Hong Kong - this might by now be PRC). In fact I think they're somewhat overpriced, at least in terms of RRP. Their history is complicated by their having had several changes of UK distributor in the 1990s, with interludes where they appeared to have no distribution at all; I don't know what the current situation is.

If you can get them at the right price they offer decent value for money. I've owned the Hunter 8x56 for quite a few years now and regard it as an excellent varmint-hunter's binocular, rubber armoured, good caps front & rear, and loads of light-gathering power for seeking out those varmints lurking under hedges a long way off in poor light... It's big & hefty but that sort of spec carries an inevitable price tag: you tend not to get really big, bright imaging in a compact package. I'd also consider the Steiner 7x50 - nice model(s) with compass incorporated tho' no laser rangefinder as yet TTBOMK.

They're OK and I'd recommend my 8x56. In a 7x50 for little more money, though, personally I'd go for the Fujinon FMTR-SX 7x50, still probably the single most impressive binocular I ever looked through.

HTH - Tony

had a pair of Steiner skyhawk for bout 5 years now and cant fault them for the money!!!

8x42 skyhawk i have been excellent bino for the cash and ergonomically excellent with fast focus wheel and excellent eye cups etc

lost an eye cup after 2 years then phoned uk supplier and new one sent out immediately no charge

would have another pair in a heart beat

think mine were 300 quid but seen them for around £320

http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/steiner/steiner_skyhawk.htm'>http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/steiner/steiner_skyhawk.htm

bought from here would use them again

http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/

sauer

York guns are selling some Steiner binos for under £130. I believe these may be part of the Jordanian Milsurp stuff they have that includes the Leupold spotting scopes and Kestrel anemometers.

They are also selling the Leupold Tactical binos for £250 sealed new in the box which is a bargain and a half.

If you buy through their ebay site and are registered for ebay rewards you will earn a tenner back on the binos in a couple of months plus if you register and pay via www.quidco.com you should get back 40% of what ebay are making on the deal.

ATB

MArk

York guns are selling some Steiner binos for under £130....

They are also selling the Leupold Tactical binos for £250 sealed new in the box which is a bargain and a half....

MArk

Are you sure, Mark? I looked immediately at their site and can see no mention of Steiner. I would imagine that any binocular sold for £130 or less would be too small, to low a spec, to be much use for varminting, where a big sharp image plus loads of light-gathering power (= large exit pupil) are prerequisites. Prepared to be proved wrong of course...

Regards, Tony

Are you sure, Mark? I looked immediately at their site and can see no mention of Steiner. I would imagine that any binocular sold for £130 or less would be too small, to low a spec, to be much use for varminting, where a big sharp image plus loads of light-gathering power (= large exit pupil) are prerequisites. Prepared to be proved wrong of course...

Regards, Tony

Here you go Tony

Have a look on E'bay and look for item 110619285781

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Steiner-8x30-Military-Marine-Binoculars-/110619285781?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item19c16c5915

They are only £99 plus £6 P&P

If they are more of this Jordanian Mil Surp stuff they should be good value.

Mark

Here you go Tony

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Steiner-8x30-Military-Marine-Binoculars-/110619285781?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item19c16c5915

Mark

That's a genuine bargain. I don't consider 8x30 a good spec for a varmint-hunter's binocular (mag OK but objective lens way too small) but this is a lot of binocular for the money, for GP carry use or the car's glove compartment.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Here you go Tony

Mark

I bought some of these and York guns were very quick to despatch.

Unfortunately I didn't like the focusing arrangement as if for example you were going to look at something and then hand them to somebody else the re-focussing was a pain. Likewise if you wanted to use the bins close up then the focussing set up let it down in my opinion.

Definitely buy with confidence if these are what you want as I took them back to York guns and without quibble they gave me a credit note at my request.

Well done YORK GUNS.

Archived