20 Tactical load data

TonyH

Everywhere you look, people say there's loads of data out there on this round, but frankly I disagree. There are bits & bobs of data here and there but much of that is merely anecdotal stuff posted on various forums, and it's fragmented, partial, and often subjective. Much of it relates also to powders difficult to find in UK, such as Accurate - dealers tell me the UK agent for this can't be arsed to deliver as far away as the Westcountry...

I have Benchmark, which I know some recommend; I have N130, though somewhat to my surprise I find people recommending N133 for the usual 39/40gr bullets rather than the faster powder (which works very well with 40gr bullets in .223). Is there a significant collection of load data out there that I haven't yet turned up? And does anyone want to swap his N133 for my mostly full 1kg bottle of N130?

Thanks, Tony

Everywhere you look, people say there's loads of data out there on this round, but frankly I disagree. There are bits & bobs of data here and there but much of that is merely anecdotal stuff posted on various forums, and it's fragmented, partial, and often subjective. Much of it relates also to powders difficult to find in UK, such as Accurate - dealers tell me the UK agent for this can't be arsed to deliver as far away as the Westcountry...

I have Benchmark, which I know some recommend; I have N130, though somewhat to my surprise I find people recommending N133 for the usual 39/40gr bullets rather than the faster powder (which works very well with 40gr bullets in .223). Is there a significant collection of load data out there that I haven't yet turned up? And does anyone want to swap his N133 for my mostly full 1kg bottle of N130?

Thanks, Tony

Tony

I am about the start a new round of load development on 20 Tactical

My tube is a 1 in 9 and I will be starting with v133

I have 03 freinds who shoot this same round in canada and the us and they are using virtually the same components with 02 years experience

PM me if you want to share results

my tube is 26 inches long

Thanks, Tony

A bit of data here for N130:

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/guns/340116/20_Tactical_calibre_review.html

Hi tony I am also a member of VHA

my canadian friends who shoots 20 tac live on the praries and distances is the norm

For them they started with 40 grainers i the first season and with wind finds that 400 + becomes a 2 shot game

hence they advice me to go for a 1 in 9 shooting 50 grains head

At the same time which was 12 months ago when I order the components berger started to launch the 55 grainer.

Velocity is not really an issue but repeatable accuracy at range hence i plum for the 1 in 9 shooting 50 grains

I will be starting from 24 grains v133

the reason I choose that is I also have a 6ppc and its is just pure economics if I can get them to work with the same powder

This dam snow is stopping me otherwise I will out this weekend .

4a9ca21f.jpg

I've a 1 in 9 twist pacnor on my TAC.

With 40gn V max 23gn N133 is king not the fastest load 3650fps but devastatingly accurate.

Done a bit with the 50gn Bergers found much better results with N135 over N133 the slightly slow burn rate producing better results with the 50gn bullet, charge weights of 24-25gn N135 should give you a good start.

As ever work up as these loads were safe in my rifle.

Cheers

Dave

Hi tony I am also a member of VHA

my canadian friends who shoots 20 tac live on the praries and distances is the norm

For them they started with 40 grainers i the first season and with wind finds that 400 + becomes a 2 shot game

hence they advice me to go for a 1 in 9 shooting 50 grains head

At the same time which was 12 months ago when I order the components berger started to launch the 55 grainer.

Velocity is not really an issue but repeatable accuracy at range hence i plum for the 1 in 9 shooting 50 grains

Thanks Gary, interesting stuff. I hear what you say about wind deflection on the prairies, but breezy as it can be here in Devon I'm used to shooting 40-55gr bullets out of .22 centrefires and the better BCs of .20 cal bullets encourage me to believe that 40gr (or thereabouts) bullets will keep me happy, out of my soon to arrive 22" Pac-Nor with a 1:11 twist. When it's really windy I tend not to shoot anyway since it's too much of a lottery. If I can shoot accurately at 400-500 yards in reasonably gentle wind conditions it will suit me. And that's a spec that will do fine when I can make it again to Ontario to hunt groundhogs.

I've a 1 in 9 twist pacnor on my TAC.

With 40gn V max 23gn N133 is king not the fastest load 3650fps but devastatingly accurate.

Done a bit with the 50gn Bergers found much better results with N135 over N133 the slightly slow burn rate producing better results with the 50gn bullet, charge weights of 24-25gn N135 should give you a good start.

As ever work up as these loads were safe in my rifle.

Cheers

Dave

Dave, thanks for the input, more interesting data. Those 50gr bullets are very unlikely to stabilise in my 1:11 but I'll be running some 40gr through with N130 and possibly N133 too.

Regards, Tony

Archived