Schmidt A8 Varmint Reticule

spanner

Is this reticule in the FFP suitable for lamping, tried one years ago at 6 - 8 mag and it was virtually unusable becuase it was so delicate to see but never tried it at the higher mags. Scope was great optically but obviously when lamping a decent FOV is a bonus without messing about winding the mag up and down. Anybody use one for lamping?

Had a bit of trouble finding it but its on the York Guns site.

That looks like a standard plex ret, I would have thought that set about half way up the mag scale it should be fine as long as that is not above about 10x as your field of view will be compromised.

Having used one I would now prefer some sort of ultra fine illuminated ret myself. I am quite liking my new NSX NP2DD for night work.

A

Cant say I fancy it personally but I can see the benifit in a scope with non dial turrets. FFP is better with those types of reticule as the drop distances between the dots remain constant. Looks like its on a 4x16, so those dots wont be to huge at 8x but for long daylight shots when wound up that center dot might be a bit big if you are shooting small stuff.

I have had a look through the S&B rets and for me an illuminated L7 would be fine, looks like the bottom of the illuminated leg is maybe 2 moa from the center, thats maybe 300 yards depending on caliber and zero, I dont go beyond that very often.

The PM2 P3 and P4 are also nice but in a bigger heavier scope. I did have a look through Menial 1s PM2 with a P3 in it the other week, very very nice indeed.

A

At the lower setting it looks like a normal plex/cross hair and as you wind it up you get a nice fine mildot ret, mate uses one on his 22.250 for foxing all the time and says its the mutts nutts.

it is fine on the high mag setting and dont obscure your target at all

Archived