case head squareing?

craigyboy

anyone used there case trimmer for case head squaring? Read a bit about this lately dont really know if its worth doing as you could end up shotrening cases by too much, just thought I would see if anyone else does it?

Hi graig,

I see that you have got the acuracy bug very bad my mate ;)

You can skin the back of the case slightly but you have to have a very good case trimmer???. willson, or even better one of the speedy ones!!!!!, other wise i would leave well alone untill you get a good one????

But you are write some of the case,s are not true????

All the best from wales darrel ;)

yeah darrel your right, the accuracy bug has bitten me very hard, I do to much reading and am spending to much bloody money, I swear the internet can be a curse at times far too much info. I do have a wilson trimmer so it should be up to the job but I am using laupa brass so I expect it too be bad anyhow, I am doing everything possible at the minute for my new laupa tac20 brass, neck turning, flash holes, primer pockets, bushing dies arbor press etc just not sure weather this one will do anything for me I dont want to shorten the brass and cause excessive headspace.

You can "adjust" the heaspacing of the cartridges by seating the bullets long on the first loading, supporting the case between the lands and the bolt face. Your primer seat depth is a more important consideration after squaring.

Why would you want to bother? If your bolt isn't perfectly square -or any other part of the bolt/cartridge/bullet/bore alignment- your squaring job will only last until you pull the trigger. Then it will be as crooked as the chamber again.

Honestly! They should let you boys have more rifles. You'd spend a lot less time nit-picking your accuracy! ;) ~Andrew

I see your point on that one Andrew once you fire the case head will be pushed back against the boltface in what ever shape the bolt face maybe, no real point in it squareing it as you would have to do it all the time and then the case wouldnt be as well supported by the bolt face as it may not be making full contact of the face is out of square.

One trick that may be a partial solution is to index your case in the chamber at each firing. I have used a needle file to make a slight notch in the rim to use as a reference for positioning the round in the chamber the same way each time. Cast Bullet Assn bench rest shooters have been using it for years and have experienced noticeable reduction in group sizes in the events that require string to be fired with fixed ammunition. I have found that you needn't be dead on in location each time. It may have the same effect as squaring and costs nothing to try.

You can, and should, also index the cartridges into your dies during the loading process. The notch (VS lets say, a paint mark) makes it easy to feel the right location and speed up the process.Good luck! ~Andrew

Archived