cleaning a mod the ultrasonic way?

after about 800 rounds i think when I get my moderator back with my rifle ill give it a good dunging out, its a small stainless pes model, it does seem strippable as there is a knurled cap on the bottom but it is tight as a mother f@#ker and I know ill only damage it if I manage to get it apart, I have put rimmie mods in the ultrasonic cleaner before but just with water and a bit of soap, anyone got any good concoctions for a mod that doesnt strip, will it even clean it up well?

Hmm, Ultrasonic cleaners for moddys, how do you know what bit will fall off? Dirt, carbon, gunge yep, but what about moddy integrity?

Im just throwing this in as ultrasonics are something else. Im just thinking of possible unsound structure/material becoming weakened by the use of the above, or I be thinking way off base.

Anyone else?

Kal

its never done any harm to my brass, you have never seen clean brass until you tryed an ultrasonic, no more scraping primer pockets, even the inside of the brass is gleaming. Just wondering of anyone uses it for cleaning mods and what solutions they use, I use 50% viniger 50% water for brass it would probably do ok for the mod too it just takes something to neutrilize the viniger.

its never done any harm to my brass, you have never seen clean brass until you tryed an ultrasonic, no more scraping primer pockets, even the inside of the brass is gleaming. Just wondering of anyone uses it for cleaning mods and what solutions they use, I use 50% viniger 50% water for brass it would probably do ok for the mod too it just takes something to neutrilize the viniger.

Good idea really never thought of it. It would just be in the back of my mind what else is being ultrasonict that wasnt meant to be! ;)

after about 800 rounds i think when I get my moderator back with my rifle ill give it a good dunging out, its a small stainless pes model, it does seem strippable as there is a knurled cap on the bottom but it is tight as a mother f@#ker and I know ill only damage it if I manage to get it apart, I have put rimmie mods in the ultrasonic cleaner before but just with water and a bit of soap, anyone got any good concoctions for a mod that doesnt strip, will it even clean it up well?

Julian from JMS was showing me a PES mod that he had put in an ultrasonic cleaner and it literally came up like new . I don't know what solution he used but I will try to find out.

kal you should have a read at this, this is were I got the idea from, ultrasonic cleaning is very handy, no more poing media out of primer pockets and shaking casesuntil it all falls out, this thing beats the ass off the tumbler.

Visit My Website

thats good to know gary, if the guy thats sells them thinks that the ultrasonic is good for them then I am happy enough to throw mine in it.

kal you should have a read at this, this is were I got the idea from, ultrasonic cleaning is very handy, no more poing media out of primer pockets and shaking casesuntil it all falls out, this thing beats the ass off the tumbler.

Visit My Website

Wow man, I cant beleive the difference that has made, but then again I couldnt believe the damage ultrasound did to kidney stones! ;)

It could be on the buy it now list!

Craigy neutralize with soapy water, then rinse with water.

I always clean my mods in the ultra sonic cleaner. The ones we

have at work are big enough to easily take the atec.

We also have very strong cleaning agents that are

added to the water, heated to 80-90 deg C. Can't use

these agents on the aluminium mods as they get destroyed.

Just use hot soapy water for the a-tec. After drying I flush

with wd40.

If your mod is stainless you won't have any problems.

edi

kal got mine from ebay, I got the exact one that guy used on 6mmbr, £60 posted on buy it now, no bidding or messing around.

thanks ejg223 i thought it would be ok, just wanted to see if anyone else has done it before, ulrasonic cleaners are bloody great, I am running around cleaning everything in sight. As you mention my moddy is good old stainless so I dont have to worry so much. Do you clean cases with yours ejg223?

I do, mainly to degrease the cases and as a final

cleaning. Then flush with hot water and throw them

in a drying oven.

I must try the vinegar trick. The solutions we

have for the ultrasonic cleaner are mainly to

remove greases and oils from a lapping process.

Your welcome to try some. (for the mod)

Too much of the solution (tickopur tr13) and

the brass turns purple.

edi

thanks ejg, ill give viniger a go first on the mod and see how it goes.

Archived