MOA v MIL

shotgun sam

Simplistic version

There are some chaps who may be able to explain better;

imagine the firing point is the centre of a circle and the target is at some point on the circumfirance of that circle.

The height of the target will always be relative and calculatable with regard to the height if the arc of a circle it covers at any distance by "simple " calculation.

MOA

Minutes of Angle

Take a circle divide it into degrees - 360

Divide each degree into minutes of arc - there are 60 minutes of arc in each degree,,,,therefore 21,600 minutes of arc in each full circle.

Still with me?

1 MOA = 1.047" at 100 yds or 10.47" at 1000 yds.

MOA is usualy set up on scopes in 1/4 or 1/8th (rarely) divisions.

MIL

Milradian

A radian is 2 pi or 6.2832 parts of a circle.

1 MIL (milradian) is 1/1000th of a radian.

Full circle = 360 degrees of arc - or 6283.2 MIL

There are 17.45 MIL in one degree and 60 minutes in one degree.

Stay with me!

1 MIL = 3.6" at 100 yds or 36" at 1000 yds

Here is where it gets interesting for metric users;

1 mil = 10 cm at 100 mtrs and 100 cm (1 mtrs) at 1000 mtrs

Scope in MIL ajustments usually are found in .1 MIL ajustments (10 mm at 100 mtrs)

MILS / MOA

I havent got time (about to go to work) to discuss ranging, ajustments pros cons bettween the two.

I have predominatly MIL scopes on all my rifles - I used to work in MOA, now I use MILS

I use Metric for ranging - its irrelavent which method you use really but the metric system works very well with MIL and is easy.

I do have MOA scope (on my F Class rifle) but I rarely use MOA other that setting the scope to the known drop at whatever distance I am shooting at and then aiming "off" to account for with drift.

I personaly find MIL easier, quicker to dial in and as accurate (no read more accurate) for longer range shot placement.

I could give examples but wont bore you.

Sure there will be others with their opinions and experience.

Brown Dog will be able to probably make it clearer than I have, he has some zen on MIL / MOA :rolleyes:

Maybe this is a bit easier to understand.

MOA = Minute of angle, this is to all intents and purposes 1 inch at 100 yards. Scopes typically have maybe 1/4 moa clicks, this means that one click of the scopes turret adjustment will move the point of impact 1/4" at 100 yards.

MIL, Can I assume you have seen a scope with a reticule that says its a 'mil dot' reticule? This is a series of dots on the arms of the scope reticule giving additional aiming points. Unless the reticule is in the first focal plane (FFP) the distance these dots are from the center cross of the scope vary as you change the magnification, this makes their use at distance somewhat haphazered when looking for a first shot kill. So they are normally used in a fixed power or FFP scopes.

Ronin's tech version is correct but maybe a bit complicated, hopefully you have got the idea but if not then post back.

A

Archived