How do you illuminate turrets at night?

Grouse

Most of the time I use a Petzl headtorch to illuminate turrets at night, for the odd shots that are Looong and tricky.

A fellow 'keeper uses a mini mag-lite epoxed onto a scope ring, works well but still is a little big for my liking.

Heres my solution, a sea fishing rod tip light, great light, waterproof, small, and the light elimant can be clipped off for daytime use if required (I leave mine on), can also be left on for shots as light isn't reflected back into eyepiece lens.

Just cable tied to scope ring....

riflemount003.jpg

riflemount005.jpg

It works for me, oh yes have range card taped to rangefinder so that can be read off at sametime....

I also dont dial at night but I know the setting for 300 yards (up13) and 400 (up29). Normally scope is set for about 150 yards which is zero minus 4. 6 clicks to the minute on these scopes.

I think the longest fox I have shot at night would not go much over 200 yards, I need them dead not educated.

A

I zero for 100, but leave scope set for 150 yards.

If its fox's I am after than a cub 3 weeks ago is a small target to kill, therefore want shot placement to be bang on the nail.

I too am not in the game to educate, but confidence in kit makes the difference with educating vermin or pulling off outstanding shots :lol:

i dont tend to dial, either, its just a goot method in insuring that a turret actually is set to zero, as its easy enough when lamping to rub it agains a seat on the pickup or on a jacket, turning the turret off zero

I zero for 100, but leave scope set for 150 yards.

If its fox's I am after than a cub 3 weeks ago is a small target to kill, therefore want shot placement to be bang on the nail.

I too am not in the game to educate, but confidence in kit makes the difference with educating vermin or pulling off outstanding shots :lol:

Not taking the piss Richard, but how do you read the wind at night for long shots that you are dialling? I've been to your gaff and would imagine it puffs a bit at times.

Pete.

Simple one that Pete, what for a broadside view, always hold on fur but ere on the windward side. The longer shots are only attempted with a settled target and a good lean - you have also seen my vehicle set-up which helps.

As I say it works for me. When I was in the lowlands never had this problem, shot 68gr Bergers (until they made them "not as explosive") through a standard 243 and never had to dial, just middled everything out to 250 yards. Now shoot 105gr Amax through 6br, and for the longer ones find that its better for me to dial for trajectory(whilst holding onto fur for windage), and this is my answer for seeing the turrets at night, just thought it was a good idea.

When have you never taken the "piss" Pete!!! :lol:

How far are you shooting the 105 A-max before dialling Richard, I'm happy enough to shoot to around 200yds without dialling and then the drop seems to come into play rapidly. What bushing size have you settled on, I'm still on 266, with 30.2gr of Viht 140 just kissing the lands.

Just wondered as we're both shooting 6BR's with the same chamber.

I've never ever took the piss, I can't believe you said that. :lol:

Pete

6mm br with heavys explain the need to to dial!must be fair loopy for charlie

i come up 5clicks from my 100yds zero for foxing @that puts me on a fox out to 300yds

(243ai 65g vmax @ 3800fps)

easy life lol

Andy

With my scope setting will just shoot them out to 230yds, then the need to click comes in for me.

Last cub was a 260yd - as I am sure you will know its not a big target when you take the fur off etc. Last crow was nearly twice that range, a weard day for up here as it was a very light tail wind 9.3 MOA and exploding crow - happy days. Also managed to recover the Amax as it was lodged in a shale bank that the crow was sat on.

Still toying with the idea of a switch barrel for maybe a 243AI.

Archived