Rings and bases

Can anyone recommend a good base/bases for a Rem 700 action?

I can't make up my mind whether single or double bases would be best.

The rifle will be used probably out to 500 yds at the very most, so I shouldn't need a tapered base.

single piece leupold with buriss signature rings would be my choice, the single piece rail may enhance action stiffness slightly though probably not that much, I just think there better, just got a 1 piece weaver rail for my cooper. I like the buriss rings due to the inserts not marking your scope and also the automatic allignment you get without having to lap the rings, I havent used my lapping tool since I discovered these burris rings.

Tikka,

If there are any alingment issues with the tapped holes in the reciever or the base itself, the one piece base will only put undue strain on the action when tightened down.

Two piece bases eliminate any possible problems with stressing the action, and alignment can be adjusted through the rings.

Accuracy minded shooters will bed one end of one piece bases to ensure non stress mounting on the action even when using expensive Piccatinney rails.

Ian.

Hi Ian. Hi Tikka.

can't agree with you on that mate, you aren't going to bend an action with a picatinny rail. and using 2 piece bases without lapping the rings, is asking for a warped scope tube.

for scope mounting purposes a 1 piece rail has many desirable atributes. provided it is fitted corectly , and it should be bedded, fastened down but not tightened to full torque untill the bedding has cured. this way, any tollerance differences between the rail and the action are ironed out by the bedding. A decent set of rings on top and bobs your uncle.

A Picatinny rail and corresponding rings is the simplies and most reliable mounting solution that is available,.

the only problem with a picatinny rail is that it restricts acces to the ejection port, and this may be an issue on a hunting rifle, certainly i'd want to be able to be able to get my fingers inthere in a rush on a dangerouse game rifle,. in this case i'd use a 2 piece picatinny base set up.

regards Pete

Tikka,

If there are any alingment issues with the tapped holes in the reciever or the base itself, the one piece base will only put undue strain on the action when tightened down.

Two piece bases eliminate any possible problems with stressing the action, and alignment can be adjusted through the rings.

Accuracy minded shooters will bed one end of one piece bases to ensure non stress mounting on the action even when using expensive Piccatinney rails.

Ian.

Guest 308Panther

On My Win70 its a 2 piece mount...

On my CZ 452A its 1piece picatinny rail mount...

My AR has the picatinny rail cut as part of the reciever....

So havin all 3....I cant say it makes alot of differance.

When using a picatinny rail....you got to keep in mind your windage and elevation to get a zero.....

because whatever it takes to zero has just been subtracted from the scope internal adj.

One thing that is nice about picatinny rails is if you need to remove the scope its a breeze to do so...and removal and replacement shouldnt affect the zero any either.

308Panther

I have the following in my box of bits so if anything there is of use email me on mry716@hotmail.com. I have suitable rings for most applications and for most of the bases.

Remington 700

Bausch & Lomb (Millet) Bases and 1" Med rings (Leupold style) New

Burris Ext frt and Rear Double Dovetail Bases Matte 410504 New

Hillver QR 2 pc base provides 16/13mm dovetail for standard ringsets 7051 (AGN) New

Hillver 2 pc ext base 7051 for Dovetail rings (QR) (AGN) New

Hillver 2 pc base 1839 (2 sets) (AGN) New

Leupold 1pc S/A base for Leupold style rings Used (But as new)

Leupold matte black 2pc rev ft & rear 50018 Used (But as new)

Leupold silver 2pc rev ft & rear 50019 New

Leupold 1pc base for LH/LA 50007 Used (But as new)

Leupold Dual Dovetail (46310) Used (But as new)

Leupold Weaver style steel Bases Used (But as new)

NIKON Silver (Hillver style) 2 pc base 7271 New

Talley Lightweight ‘all in one’ 1” medium ringset/base New

Archived