DOCTOR SCOPES

Guest Sprags

Guest Sprags

I have just been offered a Docter 6X42 scope, brand new for £365.00, is this a good price and what is the general view of the Docter optics?

Was thinking of sticking it on my new .17hmr

Thanks

Sprags

EDITED TO ADD: I just realised I have spelt it DOCTER wrong in the title, apologies :)

I have just been offered a Docter 6X42 scope, brand new for £365.00, is this a good price and what is the general view of the Docter optics?

Thanks

Sprags

EDITED TO ADD: I just realised I have spelt it DOCTER wrong in the title, apologies :)

I have heard good comments about these scopes, I did look through one in the day and the clarity looked pretty good, not sure what the twilight optics are like though. They are a good £200 cheaper than the equivelent swaro or zeiss so they do seem good value for money for a german optic.

If you can ask to have a look through it at dusk, to me it is the only true way of assessing the glass and the quality of lens coatings, that said I do most of my shooting in low light so it is a priority for me.

Cheers

Neil

Hi

I've owned a couple in my time and couldn't fault them, they certainly weren't too far of the quality of Schmidt, Zeiss, etc. I'm not sure if I would be paying over £300 for the 6x42 version though. I suspect you could pick up a pristine secondhand 6x42 Schmidt for less than that.

Mack

I looked through a bigger one a few weeks ago, nice bright image but I thought the reticule a bit heavy for small stuff I shoot but probably ideal for the Red deer the owner wants it for.

A

Doctor were originally the East German Carl Zeiss factory, but were forced by the West German Zeiss company to stop using the name some years back as I remember it.

The scopes are certainly decent quality but for that money I would think you could pic up a 3-9 or similar scope that might be more suitable for the HMR, for instance the Simmonds Whitetail Classic 3.5-10 x50 is a decent scope, I have had one for about 8 yrs and it has been on everything from 300WM down to currently a 222Rem and it has performed faultlessly and has a fine Plex ( American ) reticle which works well on paper or varmints, I think they are just under the £300mark these days, and there are others new or s/h around which would do you well.

Redfox

Guest martin

I've just put a 3-12x56mm Docter(unipoint)illuminated on my stalking rifle,and,it replaced a Schmidt & Bender 2.5-10x56mm and,I think the quality of the glass is certainly as good as the S&B.The other good news is,now I have a spare scope,so,now I'll have to buy another rifle........Happy Days!!!.

I will agree that if I was putting some glass on an HMR then it would be a variable,but,maybe that is just me.......Martin.

I have had an 8x56 Illuminated dot Doctor Optic for many years , I cant fault it ;) , I have used it in rain and snow and have never had a problem. ;)

If I had to buy another I wouldnt think twice :D

I had an 8x56 and 3-12x56 doctor both great scopes only thing is the reticle can be a little heavy for long range stuff.

the 3-12 survived a fall from the land rover roof and landed scope down on tarmac whilst on my serendo 25-06, result? two clicks left and back on target. only regret is selling the rifle and scope!

Guest Sprags

I have passed on the Docter scope fella's. I am having a sort out of the scopes I have and will be collecting a Leupold 6.5-20X50 VXIII LR soon. This will sit on my .243.

I have stuck a Simmons AETEC 6-20X50 on my .17, that should do shouldn't it? Where I am going to put my S+B 8X56 I do not know............................

Thanks

Sprags

EDITED TO ADD: I just realised I have spelt it DOCTER wrong in the title, apologies ;)

Blew that attachment, sorry.

We have a Docter on the Sako 22 varmint and a S&B on the Quad. Both are 6x42 and there is no discernable difference. I dont like the easily moved quick focus ring on the Docter as it can be moved out of focus as it is dragged out of the soft case.

Archived