Recipies for Homemade Ultrasonic Case Cleaning Solutions

CameronWilson

Hi Guys,

I'm currently using the Lyman concentrated case cleaning solution for my brass.

Between ultrasonic cleaning, and tumbling, I'm happy with the results – but I seem to be burning through the case cleaning solution, and it's not the cheapest!

Has anybody got a good homemade recipe using ingredients that can be found in the UK? A quick nose around on YouTube mentions 'Lemi-shine' and 'Tide Pods' which appear to be brand names that are difficult to source in the UK.

Many thanks in advance...

Cam.

On 11/28/2017 at 2:44 PM, CameronWilson said:

Thanks! That's an interesting article...

I should have said that I use the same process for all my US cleaning.

I am still recycling the same 2ltr batch of Birchwood Casey solution that I made up around nine years ago (not because I am tight, it just keeps on doing the job), and it has easily done 10,000 rounds by now, so it is very economical.

Bicarb is also very good as a final rinse if you don't have any BC.

I have had to replace my first batch of beakers as they got crushed by the perspex holder (hole was made as a tight fit when it should have been clearance) when the water heated it up.

It took a little practice to find the optimum depth of water/beaker seating depth to have in the US bath. Use rubber bands around the beaker to allow seating height adjustment if/when required.

The number of cases in the beaker is best at around 2/3rds of the diameter (around 40 in .223 and 30 in .308), and always try to stand them on the case head to get the best results.

Don't stick your finger in the bath when it is running it will damage your nerve endings. If you want to check it is working use a strip of tin foil held lightly in the centre of the water, it should come out perforated.

If a case falls over during a rinse cycle use a bent hair grip or paper clip (about a 3mm hook is all I make it into) in the case mouth to stand it back up.

Get a flour sieve or colander  to drain/rinse the cases off between acid and neutraliser rinses.

When I run the BC rinse I lift the cases out of the beaker rather than try to pour them into something else.

I always do a clean water rinse between acid and neutraliser as I find it removes the stuff that sits above the flash hole.

Seaclean is also meant to be a very good at removing carbon but I have never tried it.

Can't think of anything else.

HTH

Archived