One scope on 2 rifles?

Woodlander

Does anyone swap a scope between rifles and if so,how do you get on?

With the cost of a good dial able scope often more than the cost of the rifle,this as much as anything(and the FEO of course)keeps me from filling my cabinets.

Is an accurate return to zero possible with good rings,a rail and a torque screwdriver?

Would not be workable to have to re zero every time.

Does anyone swap a scope between rifles and if so,how do you get on?

With the cost of a good dial able scope often more than the cost of the rifle,this as much as anything(and the FEO of course)keeps me from filling my cabinets.

Is an accurate return to zero possible with good rings,a rail and a torque screwdriver?

Would not be workable to have to re zero every time.

You can do it with a nv set up so shouldn't be any issues providing you remember your windage and elevation for each set up. Picatinny rails are probably more favourable as you can get it pretty bang on each time

Different scopes on the same rifle are easy for repeatability because the rail is the same, so a correctly adjusted throw lever type will work really well. I've used the GG&G mounts for this purpose and they have returned to zero pretty much perfectly.

For one scope on two guns where there will be a variance in the rail dimensions which will cause problems for a throw lever type so a well made side bolting mount where you can use a torque driver would be the way to go.

I have used the MAK milmont type base in this scenario, moving a thermal scope over three guns, again with no problems with zero retention. The torque driver was a cheap 5Nm bicycle type t-handle.

Cheers

Clive

Dont go there is the best advice I can give, to much backside ache adjusting and checking zeros.

If you can only afford one decent scope then put a little Simmons 1.5.x 4 x 20 on the other rifle, that will be adequate for 180 yards or so in decent light for the time being and cheap as chips ( if you can find one).

A

Thanks for the replies. It all sounded so simple at first,got Tier One mounts and rings etc. but as you say Alycidon,it could be too much worry,especially as both rifles I was hoping to use the scope on,would be used for precise 300yd+ shots. Ok,I need to save.

Thanks all.

Archived