SK Standard Plus Trajectory

brown dog

Might be of interest to some.

Never crunched the numbers, but long been aware that, with sk standard plus zeroed at 25m, my rifle (very high, 7cm scope height) just hits 'on' at everything from about 20m to 60m.

Pretty counter-intuitive, considering the rainbow subsonic trajectory, but a 25m zero just seems to hit a sweet spot that has the bullet just skipping along the whole way within approx 1cm of the LOS.

The chart shows height in cm above/below the LOS:

post-1450-0-12021400-1453646004.png

Yes,the concept could usefully be considered more widely-Point Blank Range is the term.("point and shoot" is the vulgar version).

Sight in rifle so that the bullet never impacts outside the killing zone of the quarry up to a known distance.

For a 4 inch killing zone,that would mean never more than 2 inches high,or 2 inches low.

A rabbit is more like 2 inch zone,so zero so as to be within an inch high/low,for that known distance.

Especially useful for shorter ranges under less than ideal conditions (eg at night,where ranging isn't easy,and time is limited).

As Matt implies,it's dependent on your rig-eg scope height etc,but guides exist,and it's not hard to set up.

That said,a 200 zero on a 223 will probably shoot inside the +/- 2 inches to about 230 yards....and 'zero at your most frequent shot range' is pretty good too( if most shots are around 150,zero at that) unless shots are very variable,and long/short...then it's click time. :-)

gbal

Yes,,,,always used 60yds as a zero for my .22lr,s,,,,,,Bit too late in the day for serious thinking but pretty sure a high scope height helps flatten the sweet spot of a trajectory curve a little,,,,seem to remember employing this in my air rifle field target days,,,,,,,,,,,long time ago doh!!!!!?,,,,,,,,,,,O

Archived