I've measured my 6.5x55 chamber

njc110381

Hey guys. I was hoping you'd be able to give me some advice on what to do now I know my chamber length (or whatever it is you call it).

With Speer 140grn soft points, I'm getting a measurement of 3.170. Lee State min OAL to be 3.030 with Varget. So, my question is, what do I do now? Is there a standard measurement I should be making my rounds to, or is there some testing involved? I understand the bullet should be taken back from the lands of the rifling slightly otherwise you get higher pressures? How far back?

Thanks in advance for any advice :P

Don't you measure it because every gun is slightly different? If you just seat to SAAMI length, what's the point finding out what size the chamber is? I've heard factory guns are machined to pretty sloppy tollerances, so can vary a lot depending on how worn the cutter is? Surely theres a reason people measure their guns, or have I got it wrong?

I'm a bit lost on this one now :D

ok the reason a guy with a custom chamber will measure it is because if he/she finds best accuracy say 5thou off or say 10 thou in the lands then he/she will need to keep a close eye on their loadings as the throat wears and they will want to adjust seating depth to keep with that accuracy area as the throat wears and lengthens

its worth mentioning that many people buy a factory rig with a saami spec chamber and they automatically start loading out to near the lands as they read to do so without giving the saami industry standard a go, if they did they might be supprised

I and others on this site now load back at saami length in a standard factory gun as this has proven better for many reasons

if you have a factory stick then its still worth checking the throat measurement as when time goes on and you have shot a number of rounds you can check to get an idea of how much it has grown

when checking growth of two rifles one seated at saami and the other seated at near,on or in the lands you can bet that the saami length one will have grown the least

factory guns do have more chamber run out compared to custom rigs, this is the price paid by mass production

if you can get access to a dial indicator then its worth checking your fired cases to get an idea of your run out

if run out is more then 1.5 thou then I would recommend that you full length size only as trying to index a neck sized loaded round in the same orientation as the chamber run out is nearly impossible

if you havent got access but would like to know your run out then just post me a fired case and I will check it for you as I have a guage that reads tenths of a thou

if you are happy as you are then just check two five shot groups neck sized compared to two five shot groups full lengthed and this will give you what will be best in your gun for accuracy

what length have you been loading to?

So far the best loads I've fired were made for me by my mentor. They were 120grn Nosler ballistic tips seated to the minimum length stated in the Lee book (3.000).

How do you find out the SAAMI length?

Thanks for the offer of measuring my cases, that's very kind of you. I have been advised to full length size my brass, is that because it's likely to cause feed problems if I don't? I have some Federal cases that were fired in my gun, but will be using Lapua from now on. If I was to send you a Federal case to work with would that be ok, or do you need a Lapua one?

Thanks again for the offer of help, I'm really grateful.

if the measurement came from the lee book then it will be saami spec as will all reloading manuals

they get their accuracy from predicted pressures. seating at saami you get x pressure, seating out longer the pressure drops until it near the lands then pressure starts to rise again

it is impossible in reality to seat into the lands but its a term used instead of soft seating

what this means is the bullet is seated longer than the lands so when the round is chambered the bullet pushes up against the stell of the rifling and the brass neck being the softer and weaker of the three (lands,bullet and brass neck) gives way and allows the bullet to get pushed back into the case and this gives more uniform pressure build and let off

lee in their wisdom created the lee factory crimp and this gives the saami spec reloader the same benifits

you will see the lee factory crimp being used in bullet manufacturing companies around the world

neck tension can vary from case to case even in hand turned necks and the lee crimp applies the same pressure every time to lesson the shot to shot variation and allows the case to HANG on to the bullet a little longer leading to a slightly increased and more even pressure shot to shot

I'm not sure when I'll be able to get to the range again, but I'll load one of the Federals again and fire it. I could even take the press with me and load it again if it helps? How many times can I fire it before it needs a trim? Me being a bit of a tit only ordered the case cutter and lock stud, I didn't realise the guide and holder is seperate :D

I have a .243 which I couldn't get to shoot, even with berger bullets I could only get 1.75 - 2 inch groups. I tried everything and eventualy I was ready to beat the rifle over a wall. Then Silent give me a load to try, I couldn't believe the groups I was getting. On three occasions I shot a 5 round group and the largest group was just over 1/4 inch at 100 m and the best was just .157 of an inch. Don't question what this guys says just try it and see what works. Come to find out the load he gave me was sammi loads, I won't use anything other now. :rolleyes:

Well I've had some good luck with the loads so far. I had some I'd made to 30thou off the lands, with 33grns and 35grns of Varget. I figured I may as well try them rather than push them shorter. Both shoot under 5p groups at 50 yards, and I'm not a great shot! I bought some reloder 19 at the club, so have now made some up to the same length with 43 and 45grn charges to see what they do. If they work then great, if not I'll make some shorter ones.

I'm really enjoying this. My groups are 1/2 of the size I can get with Federal premium, and I've only just started :lol:

Charly

I think you have got the wrong OAL there. That looks more like a 223 measurement.

I have also used the VIT 140 for 80 grain spitzer bullets but 39.6 was my max load.

Cheers

Eddie

Sorry guys and well spotted it should be 2.650 I can't help it I'm just a dumb arse :(

Archived