Barrel choice

johnd

Hi,I'm preparing to have a new rifle built for Ftr, action and stock are pretty much sorted witch brings us to barrel choice, I intend shooting mostly Berger 155.5s and occasionally 185s at longer distances. All comments welcome please on barrel make, finished length,twist rate,(any advantage with gain twist)and finally chamber and neck tolerances. Yours faithfully John

I got my FTR in build as we speak. I have 32" true-flite barrel 1:10" F class contour. Apparently the gain twist thing from what I heard doesn't make much difference but I have no experience so can't tell you much. I have asked for a standard 308 chamber and tight neck tolerances as I will be neck turning. I also asked to screw cut for mod so that I can practice at home and load developing.

What action are you going for?

I got my FTR in build as we speak. I have 32" true-flite barrel 1:10" F class contour. I intend to push 155 to 185gr to try out what suits me as I am beginning in FTR. Although this twist rate works with the lighter bullets I should a fair spin drift. Apparently the gain twist thing from what I heard doesn't make much difference but I have no experience so can't tell you much. I have asked for a standard 308 chamber and tight neck tolerances as I will be neck turning. I also asked to screw cut for mod so that I can practice at home and load developing.

What action are you going for?

Just done this for a customer with a broughton 1-12 twist 5c 31 in finished

Kelby panda f-class action

Joe west stock

Still needs lacquered

The broughton and trueflights are excellent choices so are bartlein

Hi taylor , do you recommend the 1-12 twist to be competitive with both 155.5s and 158s or does it put you somewhere in the middle just being able to use both but not allowing them to perform at there best.

Hi did you mean 158s or 185s ?

If you ment 185s then 1/11 twist might be better .

Just to add to this, I am wondering about barrel weight, I am also planning an FTR build I want to use a Kelbly Kodiak action because I have one along with a Kelbly rail and rings . The stock and bipod weigh 2kg together, I don't have a scope yet but how much do you think this would leave me for a barrel. I want to use all available spare weight in the barrel both in length and diameter.

Archived