17 Ackley Hornet

I'm set on buying a 17 Ackley Hornet but am undecided about what rifle to use.

Several members have Coopers and speak highly of them but I'm not sure if a single-shot will do for me in a (hopefully) lightweight rifle where the action might come thick and fast (I'm an optimist, OK?). I've not handled a Cooper but the pistol grip looks almost horizontal and well back from the trigger blade. Is this set-up a problem if you don't have big hands?

My other top option is to buy an Anschutz Hornet and rebarrel it. The mags are said to feed well and the triggers are top notch.

I have a 527-action Cz and love it but research tells me that the 17A/Hornet won't feed out of the 22 Hornet magazine so I've scratched the Cz. Sako used to do a Hornet but parts are hard to come by and also I'm told the mags don't feed.

Help me out here; what do you think?

I had a 17 Ackley Hornet and it was a fine rifle. You'll enjoy the cartridge.

I have a hard time understanding why the Ackley 17H won't feed from the CZ magazine but I'll take you word on it. What I wanted to advise you on was to pass on the Anschutz. They have rear locking lugs and worse yet, pinned barrels. they are a real pain in the backside to rebarrel! ~Andrew

What I wanted to advise you on was to pass on the Anschutz. They have rear locking lugs and worse yet, pinned barrels. they are a real pain in the backside to rebarrel! ~Andrew

I have an Anschutz 17 ackley hornet and know somebody else who has one,the gunsmith who rebarrel'd the both of them sead it was an easy job to get the pins out,he then threaded the action to take the new barrel.If this is anything to go by he did'nt do to bad a job.17%20ackley%20hornet%20003.jpg[/img]

I should be picking my cz 17ah hornet up in the next week or so depending on the proof house.They will feed with a bit of fettling but until then i have ordered a calhoon mag which is supposed to feed ok most times.I have also ordered a singl shot follower from calhoon as i am used to single shot rifles and can reload just as fast as a mag fed one.

Thanks for the thoughts.

I have a 54-action Anschutz and those tiny rear lugs have been praying on my mind a bit. The rebarrelling is a pain but my gunsmith says he has done it, can do it again.

I'll be very interested to see if the Cz feeds through the magazine. I can see no reason why it shouldn't but someone who said they'd tried it said it doesn't work. That's not exactly hard evidence and if 6PPC's works OK that's probably the route I'll go as well.

Thanks guys

Archived