OMG...... Pigeon decoying with a bow and arrow ???

22cf

Ive a buddy who's a sharp shooter with a bow and arrow.. Ive seen him do stuff that is awe inspiring.

Pinning a pigeon to a tree with a 80lb compound bow is easy for him.

Hmmm....there are quite a few you tube videos on archery.

One opens with an archery target that has clearly been shot at with a shtgun loaded with buckshot-ys,there are a few holes in the inner gold 5 inch ring,but there is a pretty even distribution of holes all over the target. Holy shizzle....could this actually be a typical archery arrow target?

Well,watching the olympic finals shows that by no means all the arrows are golds,and even fewer in the centre 5 inch ring.Now,this is not club stuff,but it is from 70 yards....5 inches,as it happens,is a reasonable average pigeon size....

So it's possible to skewer pigeons,but not easily if the range is 'shotgun range', I suspect. Apples at 15 yards seems doable. (we'll not ponder the advantages/not of a 2 inch 'safety' headon the arrow).

Lars Anderson ( "A new level of archery")is the recent man who showed lots of 'amazing' archery shots. One enthusiastic but sensible commentary on it is Anthony Cummings(LA-is it real?").Essentially the need for unedited footage,and hit rates. He's a bit off in claiming artistic observers get detail right-not important for actual performance-but a quick look at horse paintings in the 18th C will evidence either some inaccuracies,or amazing evolution since.

While we're in spoilsport mode,there is also the 1mile rifle (308?)shot video....at least he admits it was with shot number 20,with spotter. "Dangerous within 1 mile",the 22rf boxes used to say. Indeed,but in which direction from muzzle?

In archery,and elsewhere,there is gold,and there is pyrites.

gbal

Gbal,

They only shoot recurve bows in the Olympics and not compound bows. I use to shoot for the GB squad in archery so know what they are capable off. Compound bows are much more accurate hence why they don't compete in the same class as recurve bows.

For an example on a Worcester round the "gold" is 2 and a half inch area with a maximum score possible of 300 with 60 arrows. I on many occasions if not most occasions have shot 300 straight. (indoor season at 20 yards.)

compounds are awesome but you still like everything you have to be a good shot to compete at the highest level. ;)

Steve,good points- I did say keeping within shotgun range would change it all,and keeping within 20 yards even more so-I can see skewered pigeons then. And quite a lot of sitting-I assume!!-pigeons falling to a 12 g at 20 y too! Fewer flighting at 40 and near zero at 70y.

The Olympics was more a 'look at the dispersal' among even the top shooters-some bulls(pigeons) yes,but

by no means top scores every set of arrows.The compounds though do much better( skewered sparrow ,anyone?) :-)

g

• 4 weeks later...

At a sensible distance 'known' say 20-30 yds a pigeon target would be considered easy for a compound shooter :-)

And here's a couple groups at 20yds (3 Spot) & 60yds with my field comp bow...

post-14051-0-08212000-1425657794_thumb.jpg

post-14051-0-33209600-1425657805_thumb.jpg

Archived