.222 Factory Ammo

Guest Stacka

Assuming this is for live quarry, the Ballistic Tip is a superbly accurate bullet, I've used them in various calibres since the eighties.

Guest Stacka

Id never shoot anything more than 250 Yards with my .222 wind dependant

I think what i mean is will a 40gr round hit any less harder than a 50gr round. Hydro-static Shock and all that

Id never shoot anything more than 250 Yards with my .222 wind dependant

I think what i mean is will a 40gr round hit any less harder than a 50gr round. Hydro-static Shock and all that

"Hit harder" /hydrostatic shock does depend on bullet construction and point of impact. There will be some minor differences,but in general, at the distances you suggest,most commercial ammo will be sufficient,at least-as following suggest (these are energy figures in ft lb at 100y for 222 rem:

Hornady 40 Vmax 839

Fed 40 Nosler BT 790

Nosler 40 BT 745

Hornady 50Vmax 835

Nosler 50BT 810

Fed 53 TNT 887

Norma 55Oryx 794

Norma 62 SP 831

I don't have more european loadings to hand,but these data should give a general answer,and some considerable reassurance,there really is not a lot of difference in energy being delivered,and all are adequate,at least (the Norma Oryx 223 55 load just for comparison delivers 831 ft lb,the 223 Hornady 40 Vmax 937,Fed 40 Nosler BT 915-clearly a little more,but not a lot more.

The 222 rem has a good record against fox; european premium ammo has been so designed for many decades.

Gbal

Don't underestimate the .222 Rem - here in Scotland we're used it for Roe deer for years to great effect.

thank you for your response. So in short as long as its accurate, it should hit bloody hard and do the job

Yes.

I believe the Sako 50g Arrowhead actually uses the Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet.

G

• 2 weeks later...

Archived