Lamping the Night Away

JohnGalway

Wednesday September 9th

Moon 80% illuminated, winds very light to nil, temp 5-8 degrees feeling distinctly cool at times.

I had been chatting to Glensman on a site and when I saw he was wondering about buying a rifle for foxing I decided to extend an invitation to go foxing on some of my permission. We met up around 9pm and the first port of call was to be Jurassic Park, which has been a good spot for fox last year. There was a slight spanner put in the works as the farmer had just weaned the lambs off the ewes and they were making some hell of a racket right in the area the foxes use the most. We hung around for a time , called a couple of times after lamping the farm, no eyes were to be seen!

I am always concerned when someone comes out to shoot that the foxes won't play ball that night, often those travelling are doing 100+ miles so it would be a pain to draw a blank. I had not shot in any of the areas I was bringing Glensman so I had some hope we'd see a little action at least.

It was time to move on to another permission. This is a rich foxing ground and I've rarely come away empty handed from it. We spotted a fox quickly, but he was a distance away. The light breeze was in his favour, the bright moon and quiet night pretty much put paid to making up the ground as you simply cannot travel on that bog without making noise. Our fox resisted the temptation of the Callmaster and WAM and moved off over the hill after a time.

We tried another spot where my ewes spend a lot of time out on commonage grazing. I know two fox cubs had been knocked down there recently but again no eyes! I was starting to get that sinking feeling in my stomach at this stage but Glensman took it all in the best of humour!

Onto our fourth call of the night and finally I spotted a fox in amongst some sheep on land belonging to a relation of mine. We made up some ground towards where we spotted him and set up on a small hillock for a scan around with the lamp. Our fox had moved out onto the commonage and well out of range of both lamp and my .223. Deciding at this stage we’d nothing to loose we hit off out along a fence after him. It was a decent walk out over bad ground, thankfully there was a stream running along side of us which was making a bit of noise.

We spotted him again near a fence running perpendicular to the one we had followed. There was a big rock that would make a good shooting point so we made for it. We crept up the side of it, mindful of not showing ourselves against the bright sky to all and sundry. The fox had moved off out well over 300 yards if memory serves me right. Glensman found him with the dimmed lamp (telling ye, that lad doesn’t waste power lol!). We also spotted what we think was a second fox father out again.

The caller was on now and our fox started moving, zig zagging towards us. That’s when I lost sight of him. Later, Glensman told me he could see him the entire time coming closer and closer. I didn’t cop to that fact until he was in good and close around 80-100 yards, that’s when the fun began!

I got settled with the rifle and found the fox, who promptly disappeared from my view down into an old stream bed or turf cut. He came back into my view for a fleeting moment before coming right close up to the rock we were on. I had to move! I couldn’t see!

I slipped quietly down the rock to near where Glensman was lamping, and doing a great job of it too. When I saw the fox again he had to have been within 10 yards of Glensman... The problem being Glensman was between me and the fox! I didn’t think shooting through him would be the best idea as I’d surely have missed the fox. So I had to move again!

When I got down and found the fox I shouted at him twice, duh, I’ll never learn in the early season. Our fox didn’t stop and pressed the peddle slightly to increase his pace now heading away from us. When he was around 100 yards out from us, and after me moving for a third time I got my act together and barked at him. I love that bark. He stopped for a quick look back and bang! In my hurry I did aim slightly high, taking out his shoulders and spine. But, I kept a close eye where he fell through the scope and there was no movement, also when we went to pick him up there was no signs of struggle so I’m confident my less than perfect aim resulted in an instant kill.

I think it was coming up on 2am at that stage, so we called it a night. I had a full day of sheep dipping the next day and Glensman was also busy for the day. Thanks again GM for travelling out and you did a great job on the lamp! We’ll have to head out again another night.

fox02223dogcushhill101yards.jpg

An enjoyable read John.

That bark seems to work doesn't it.

When I'm out with Nemasis he makes a cat sound or that of a ewe which is highly effective at getting charlie to stop in his tracks.

Cheers

Dave

When I"ve taken friends who are not country people out with me, and the fox is unaware (or not botherd) of us and will not pick its head up, or stop, to little squeeks. I use a voice as you would if you were talking to a person like, OY YOU, WILL PLEASE LOOK AT ME. When it does they are amazed, they think its responding to the actual words not the tone and volume

Archived