Stock for shooting from vehicle

Ive just sold on my old stock- a mcmillan bakers special as I was getting a bit fed up with it for shooting from inside a vehicle when out looking for foxes. It did the job but I wasnt happy with the way I had previously set it up with a detachable AI type magazine protruding out and scratching the inside of the car, and I wasnt a fan of the grip trying to handle it around the car, nor did I like the rounded bottom on the fore end. The rifle- a remington left handed short action chambered in 6BR is going to stay as a single shot too as while I had no problems mag feeding dasher cases, the straight BR has failed me a couple of times again. It will now become a single shot.

Im going to build myself a thumbhole stock out of one of our native Australian timbers, but would like peoples experiences for shooting off a window rest in terms of stock design. I was going to do the stock with a 2.5 inch wide flat section to sit on the rest, however some people told me that a flat section is good but the edges need to be rounded off so theres not as much problem twisting the rifle to get the reticle flat when shooting on hills. Also is there any benefit to the normal angled butt on hunting/varmint rifles over going over something a little flatter like a BR stock, but not as extreme as dead flat like what you see on alot of f class stocks.

Be interested to hear thoughts on this one.

Archived