Ruger .243 barrel reduction

Hi all,

I've recently bought a second hand m77 stainless in .243, it's got a 22" barrel and I would like it reduced, I've looked on the Ruger website and they've got a compact rifle with a 16 1/2" barrel. Do you think this is worth getting done as I have to get it threaded anyway, if anyone could give me some pointers regarding the pro's and con's I would appreciate it. Also can anyone possibly recommend a riflesmith in the South Wales area.

Cheers

Fs69

If its for a woodland stalker where you won't shoot further than 100 yards then maybe, 16 1/2" with a standard twist isn't giving much room to get up to velocity though, in fact with factory rounds you might actually fall short of the minimum muzzle energy allowed for deer. I'm sure this was covered in shooting times with Bruce Potts so might be worth searching out the article. Personally I'd be looking at 18" as the minimum with 20" being better, all in all it really depends on actual use

As Akeld: shortening a barrel inevitably means losing velocity.If there are legal limits for you use,yyou need to be aware that ft lb energy will reduce.How much...well,it isn't entirely straightforward for several reasons-one,per inch removed,more velocity is lost in the mid range (say 24" down) than is lost from a longer barrel;two-it just varies a bit with the individual barrel. Three- it varies with calibre;and four-some ammo is loaded higher,which might help,though of course reduces choice.

There are guides-check a few (google 'barrel length and velocity in 243" ) be sure to use ones as close as possible to your situation,and do not depend on an exact match.....especially if it seems to bring you close to legal minimum.Best to check a few,if possible-an average might be closer to your actual rifle.

That caveat aside,a short carbine has much to recommend it for (woodland) handling.

gbal

one of my 243's has an 18 inch barrel. to be honest making it deer legal was a little challenging but managed to find a powder and load to get me there with under max loading and normal pressure signs, so is doable with handloading.

it does make it nice and compact though, which is great and worth the effort .

Im getting my 6.5 with a 16'5" barrel but thats got a little more available to get legal (there is a 14" which just makes min Energy http://www.maemoderators.co.uk/jms-arms-65x47-lapua-shorty.html )

Dunno about .243/ 6mm

this guy is using his 18" barrel Pistol to chuck 6mm 1000yrds at 1837ft lbs so a little to play with ....... just

Archived