Spigot vs standard muzzle threading

What's the idea behind the spigot style muzzle threading vs standard? I'm moving from 1/2" threading to a larger thread. I have a 17x1 ASE UTRA CQB thread that can replace the 1/2" one that's currently fitted. The 17x1 is a spigot style thread and does not sit back over the barrel like the 1/2" one. My only thoughts are there is a lot more of the barrel thickness removed ie further back with a spigot type.

Thoughts please?

Regards

Simon.

Simon,see eg Jackson rifles technical data sheet on ASE/mods.A good spigot /thread design probably is a superior engineering solution,and done properly,might enable a better fit / 1mm smaller exit hole (-1db,maybe less gas disturbance?)Or just another complication/choice!

Hi Gbal

Thanks for the reply. I'd imagine it could be a better engineered job. My concern is that it may be removing too much meat at the muzzle. It prob makes no difference in reality but it was a consideration for me.

Simon,not my thing ,but I think some of the spigot options from ASE actually have less metal off in the thread area,near the muzzle-worth a look,maybe. I must say 1/2 inch looks very thin on a heavy barrel,compared to a more reassuring and appropriate 5/8!

One of the concepts behind the Spigot, is that should the Mod' work loose it would have the advantage of a longer contact with the barrel so helping to reduce any Droop from the end of the muzzle, and less chance of a bullet strike on the baffles....

Archived