Toploadable, Detachable Magazine

I've asked this on an Australian forum but its probably more suited to the expertise of the guys on here. I thought after being a member here for a couple of years it was about time I started posting.

I like the mag system on my Sakos, I can pop the mag out and load it, I can pop the mag out and remove all the rounds, it sits flush with the bottom of the stock but has a good capacity as its double stacked. Most of all I like the way I can topload the mag through the action.

Are there any systems that can replicate this and work with a Rem700 clone custom action?

So far the only candiate I've found are the double stacked AI AW mags which I could use with a Stiller TAC30 AW. The downside of these is the Mag sticks out a bit far and I would prefer something which looked a bit more subtle if possible.
This is for a 6.5x47 or similar I am mulling over building, am I missing any other potential magazine systems out there?

Thanks, I've heard the Rem double stack mags were not the best for reliable feeding.

Its been suggested on the other forum that using the Stiller action and AW mags is probably the best way to go. I can hopefully perform some kind of cut and shut on the AW mag to take the capacitiy down to around 4 rounds and have it sitting roughly flush with the bottom of the stock.

Ive just got a tac 30 aw in 6.5x47, feeds perfectly from the aw mags. They stick out a little way, but not disproportionate to the rifle. Aics 5 shot mags sit flush but dont work, they touch the bolt and snag the rifling. The stiller spectre is another action that works with the aw mags

I've asked this on an Australian forum but its probably more suited to the expertise of the guys on here. I thought after being a member here for a couple of years it was about time I started posting.

I like the mag system on my Sakos, I can pop the mag out and load it, I can pop the mag out and remove all the rounds, it sits flush with the bottom of the stock but has a good capacity as its double stacked. Most of all I like the way I can topload the mag through the action.

Are there any systems that can replicate this and work with a Rem700 clone custom action?

So far the only candiate I've found are the double stacked AI AW mags which I could use with a Stiller TAC30 AW. The downside of these is the Mag sticks out a bit far and I would prefer something which looked a bit more subtle if possible.

This is for a 6.5x47 or similar I am mulling over building, am I missing any other potential magazine systems out there?

I think (not sure) that HS Precision make a flush fitting mag to fit the remmy or clone actions, if I remember correctly it's not as good as the sako system and has 1 round less capacity but you have the option of fitting an extended 10 shot mag, Thanks

The AW mag is the way to do , providing , the action is cut/ramped to feed from IT , as has been said the AW mag is only a tad longer than a AICS 5 rd mag , and you could always chop one 10rd AW mag to use as a low profile option, and carry un modified std 10rd AW mags as spares .

It has been said that IF you cut a rem700 action to take the AW mags , it weakens the action too much , all the custom actions usually have more meat left on the action , ie smaller ejection port , enclosed top cover etc .

Most new Rem700 clones , are now offered with the so called AW cut , so getting a Stiller or say a Defiant is the way to go IF you are after using a AW mag .

In Stiller , you have either the AW Tac , or the newer Spectre action .

Archived