new sako or new barrel on winchester 70?

I've so many questions here is the next one . What will shot better a sako 85 varmint laminate or a re barrelled win 70 with jewell trigger? Allso what would a re barrel with threading for sound mod cost? I'm thinking about £750 does that sound right? Last question has anyone had any experience of steyr ssg 69 pl (I think they look ace but I know little about them) cheers .

Re barrel the 70 good actions shoot well when fitted with a good barrel price is spot on will crown and thread for a mod .

Ps I haven't owned a styer for 20 years but they all shot well back in the early 90s I had 3 on the bounce all sub .5 rifles .

Sacrilege to do anything if it's a pre 64 winchester,but it can't be....the late/modern 70s are nothing special,and no better than the modern Sako. A very good re barrel -and jewell-will make a decent shooter,but guaranteed better than a good Sako? You still have a so so action-not that all newer Sakos are great-to me it might depend on cartridge/barrel life-do sako do your cartridge choice- and if you foresee a need to rebarrel again,I'd go for the Sako,if not it's probably a toss up,for the life of one barrel. If .1 moa difference matters,you'd need a sample of ten or more of each,before any reliable differences could emerge.

Sorry,it really is a close run thing on a one off basis.....I like sakos,and custom barrels! A rebarreled Sako or a rebarreled winchester is a no brainer!

Gbal

.had a mod 70 with a jewel trigger and it shot superb.

im not saying the sako are not nice or shoot great but over 1400 pound now in some shops ouch.

there not worth that imo. also look at tikka's for sale they can be had cheap. rebarrel that into 6.5x47

cheers gbal , if it was a new sako I would go .243 if its the win re barrel I like the sound of 6.5 /47mm .

Understand and empathise-have old sako 243.

Just for 'fun',throw a new (sako) in 260 rem into the pot-as the 260 gives nothing measurable away to the 6.5x47 ,both are fine cartridges,pity the 6.5x47 is not a 'standard' factory chambering.Or an old sako rebarrelled in 6.5x47,now we're getting there-I'm sorely tempted!!

Gbal

Archived