Got that charlie........at last

Tank

After a recent spate of failures i went up to my local shoot last night to see if i could try and get on top of the foxes that maraud around the pond. There's a pond in the centre of the village and the foxes come from the valley at the back, through the farm and have a go at any wildfowl on the banks of the pond. One of my work mates wanted to come along to see what foxing as all about so i agreed to meet him there. I got to the farm, uncased the rifle to find i'd left the bolt at home :wub: .. ######, i phoned my mate and popped home to get it. 15 minutes later i was back and ready to go.

I'd been baiting a long hedgeline all summer and autumn with rabbit guts so the foxes were used to going to it for food. I'd decided to use no filter on my lamp as i figured they were conditioned to my amber filter,(i'd seen plenty whilst out for rabbits with the rimfire but they'd never been in range :blush: ). We went to the bait area and i got my mate smearing dog food on to the soil whilst i jumped up and down on a rabbit from the previous nights forray which i then cut open and dragged around for five minutes. Having done that i tied bugs to some bricks to stop charlie nicking him.

We set up about 80yards away tucked behind a flint wall. NV Mono at the ready and so began the long cold wait. I periodically scanned but there was nowt. :huh: . I'd told my mate what sort of sounds we could expect to hear from the foxes but there was nothing, not even a commotion from the pond as en early heads up. I carried on checking but still nothing. I gave my eyes a rest from the NV for a minute when my sixth sense told me to check. Sure enough there was a fox approaching the bait. It hadn't come over the open field to my left so must have come down the hedgeline out of my sight. I nudged my mate and then got behind the rife, eye to the scope, lamp flicked on, eyes in the lamp and a white chest clearly visible. I aimed at the chest and let a 35grn Vmax fly from my .22H. Thud, the fox dropped on the spot.

On close inspection it was a nice condition vixen, fairly young i'd say judging by her teeth. I'd hit her in the boiler room. Well chuffed and an early bath for me!! :D All done by 2030, been lying up and hour. Not a bad nights work and a very happy hunter. Pi

Pics added:

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z363/willybomber1/IMG_8057.jpg

A happy hunter :)

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z363/willybomber1/IMG_8058.jpg

Thanks for reading,

Willy :)

Good stuff fella, nice result!

I'm reloading my hornet and getting 3058 ftps with 13 grains lil gun and a 35 grain v-max.

Very underrated the the old Hornet, wouldn't be without mine.

Good stuff fella, nice result!

I'm reloading my hornet and getting 3058 ftps with 13 grains lil gun and a 35 grain v-max.

Very underrated the the old Hornet, wouldn't be without mine.

Yeah, i'm really enjoying the hornet, it's a lovely little round for the cost conscious shooter such as myself. It does what i need it to. :)

Good work Willy, that fox looks in fantastic condition.

Nice write up and pics too :)

Thanks mate, she was in really fine fettle, less so now :lol:

Archived