First blood with new Sako 85V .222

LongRanger

I picked up my new Sako 85V .222 in early December and have been adjusting and tuning in to the new rifle. The trigger comes from the factory set at around 3 pounds - ok, but not for me. Pulling the stock off is the best method of adjusting the trigger which now averages at one pound ten ounces. It wears an Ase Utra suppressor (perhaps a little quieter than my old T4AR Reflex on the HW66) and a Meopta 6x42 with Sako rings and bases. I use an old Parker Hale trigger shoe which I swap between rifles as I have a large hand and this helps with grip and finger placement. I wish I could find another. Only other modifcation is a 1/4 inch butt spacer for a little extra length. Who said size isn't important?

A check at 200 yds (using the set trigger) weekend before last confirmed it is a shooter with a one and a quarter inch group with my own unique formula of Sako brass, a 50g V Max and 20.8 grains of Nobel Rifle No.3. Try ordering that at your local shop. I was given a tin by old friend and when it's gone, it's gone.

So last night was the first opportunity to try the rifle for real with my mate who is an expert caller and lampman. We parked at the top of a hill at the end of a long lane which gave us a panoramic view of the surrounding countryside. Wind was light and variable. We hadn't walked 40 yards from the Discovery when the first flick of the lamp picked up a pair of eyes at about 350 yards. Light out and a couple of squeaks. Light on again to see the fox bounding towards us - must be hungry I thought.

Only thing, we were completely wrongly placed with the wind blowing into our backs. Sure enough, on the next flash of the lamp we could see the fox had winded us and was hightailing it. It stopped at about 300yards and looked at us. We coaxed it in a little and my mate said, "Biff it - it's not coming any closer". I had a long look at it through the 6x and and thought, "s**t, that's rangey, but here goes". I took a little longer than usual to settle the rifle in the sticks and squeezed. In what seemed to be a very long time after the shot, we heard an unmistakeable slap and through the scope I saw the eyes jump sideways.

Out came the rangefinder, and very carefully we checked the distance - 238 yards! After a worrying 20 minute search in tall rushes we finally stumbled across a very nice dark furred vixen. She had taken the hit square on the sternum and I noted something I haven't seen before using the 50g V Max, there was a very big entrance wound. I think this may have been due to the bullet fragmenting on the breastbone before it could penetrate properly.

So, first fox shot with first shot in 2012 with my new pride and joy! Only downer, the batteries in my camera decided to crash so no pictures, although my mate has a very grainy pic of it on his mobile.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi longRanger, snap. I have also just bought one of these in .222 although mine was just after christmas, i have to say i was a little nervous as i was trading in a very good 75 laminated stainless. I posted on a few forums while i was trying to make up my mind whether to change or not and have to say the vast majority of people seem very cold towards the 85, hardly anyone said it would be a good move. It turned out my gun dealer ordered the wrong one and got me the 20" fluted barrel by mistake, i was a little worried about the accuracy and long range ballistics of the gun with this shorter tube. I decided to take it to save him sending it back and boy was i pleased i did, took it home and tried 21.5gr reloader 7 with 40gr nosler b-tip and was shooting well under and inch at 100 yards. I then went on to try 40gr v-max 20thou off the lands with the same charge and was i shocked to find all three through the same hole at 100. :D 200 yard groups with this combo are consistently under 1/2" and tried at 300 yesterday (measured with rangefinder) two groups both slightly under an inch and one only 1/2" (probably fluke). At 300 im only getting about 7" drop which seems to mean im losing almost nothing velocity wise with the shorter barrel. All in all i couldnt be happier with it, would be interesting to see how your gun performs with the reloader 7. I would add the mag release is very annoying and difficult to operate with one hand quickly but it will probably save me from having to shell out for a new one at some stage.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi James, looks like you have a real tackdriver there! I picked up some N130 recently so I'll be doing some load development with that. Perhaps the only thing that is holding me back on paper targets at longer distances is my 6x42 Meopta scope. I have a Leupold 6-18 target scope which is doing nothing and I'm tempted to give it a try on the .222.

Archived