Free floating a barrel, where does the barrel begin?

Danny

Hi,

I am going to free float two barrels, one is on a Remington 597 .22, the other a BRNO mod 2, both have synthetics stocks.

I wanted to know how far back down the barrel do I need to sand it? Do I go as far as the first screw that holds the stock to the action?

Surely if I go past this then it will affect how the action is bedded in the stock, yet does the barrel not begin as far back as just after the breech?

Any info appreciated, thanks!

Atb,

Danny.

Hi,

I am going to free float two barrels, one is on a Remington 597 .22, the other a BRNO mod 2, both have synthetics stocks.

I wanted to know how far back down the barrel do I need to sand it? Do I go as far as the first screw that holds the stock to the action?

Surely if I go past this then it will affect how the action is bedded in the stock, yet does the barrel not begin as far back as just after the breech?

Any info appreciated, thanks!

Atb,

Danny.

Hi Danny,

Both of these rifles have somewhat cheap flexible stocks, by attempting to free float you could be making things worse. In effect the barrel is acting as re-bar for the forends. This situation is not confined to rimfire rifles, Remington SPS and Tikka T3 synthetics are similar. I have seen SPS stocks written off in an attempt to free float,

Alan

Hi Alan,

Thanks for letting me know of this I had no idea.

I don't think this will be an issue with the BRNO as its in an AI (lookalike, very well made) stock.

The Remington however is a regular Hogue stock so if you think free floating it could cause issues perhaps I will hold off, I don't actually have the rifle in my possession yet, so I could always do some tests out to 60 yds and see if there are any accuracy issues.

I just saw some vids on you tube that mentioned its best to free float the 597 stock but they didn't say how far to float it to!

So in regards to the BRNO how far down the stock would one go?

Cheers,

Danny.

Hi Alan,

Thanks for letting me know of this I had no idea.

I don't think this will be an issue with the BRNO as its in an AI (lookalike, very well made) stock.

The Remington however is a regular Hogue stock so if you think free floating it could cause issues perhaps I will hold off, I don't actually have the rifle in my possession yet, so I could always do some tests out to 60 yds and see if there are any accuracy issues.

I just saw some vids on you tube that mentioned its best to free float the 597 stock but they didn't say how far to float it to!

So in regards to the BRNO how far down the stock would one go?

Cheers,

Danny.

Hi Danny,

If the CZ/Brno is in an AI lookalike stock it may well be free floating already (AI stocks are). My advice would be test both rifles with different holds, rests etc. to see if there is any change in point of impact between methods. Should you decide to proceed then free floating should start immediately forward of the receiver. On centrefire rifles with lightweight barrels it is common to leave support under the chamber area. Be aware that if you still have accuracy problems after free floating you will have no right of redress with the supplier or under any warranties due to substantial changes you have made,

Alan

Thanks Alan,

Yes the Brno is free floating but as it was made by someone rather than by AI, I just wanted to check that I was done properly and also to know for future potential jobs such as the 597 stock.

Thanks for the info, I'll make sure to not go beyond the receiver.

Atb.

Danny.

Archived