out with the .204

camo304

Went out this morning to run in the .204 using factory ammo 32g and 24gr box sat @ 100 yards so i could zero the scope at the same time. Got the rifle shooting ok 32gr bullets touching not bad for me off the car bonnet, 24gr shot less than a 1" spread so may try some of these on rabbits. Took a quick run upto a farm close by that i have, and got me a rabbit @197 yards not bad for my 1st day out with the new rifle must say i love it. :D

Cheers Andy

Already have the 39grSBK heads thats what i will be reloading once these 32/24gr have gone, gonna try them with N135 looks like some are getting good results.

What rifle you got fella?

Steve.

Howa with axiom stock

my first .204 was a howa and would shoot the 39s into small cloverleaf groups quite easily , great calibre wind permitting !

Promising start with the new rifle, well done - always encouraging when you hit something right away! Half the battle IME with a new setup is psychological... I too wonder what these 24gr bullets could be, never heard of them. I look upon my 20Tac as extending my range a bit compared with .223, with flatter trajectory and more consistency (custom rebarrelling), so I haven't tried 32gr bullets. I first tried the 39grSBK myself and it's a great bullet, though I found a degree of inconsistency in bullet weight so I shifted to the 40gr Nosler BT which shoots slightly better in my rifle. And lots of riflemen dismiss the Hornady V-Max 40gr as inferior, but it might suit your rifle - worth trying? The V-Max served me well for years in 22-250 and .223.

Tony

Hornady Superformance Varmint 24gr NTX 4225fps

Ah, right, a "California bullet", thanks for the info. I wonder what the BC is? I'd guess it runs out of puff (compared with lead-core 39/40gr bullets) by around 200 yards, so it limits the potential of your .204. I reckon when you start rolling your own with heavier bullets you'll be looking at varmints 300-400 yards off.

Good luck! Tony

Hornady Superformance Varmint 24gr NTX 4225fps

Forget speed, accuracy at reasonable speed and ease of placement first, down range clout 2nd, you dont need a lot of energy to kill a fox given good placement.

A

Went out this morning to run in the .204 using factory ammo 32g and 24gr box sat @ 100 yards so i could zero the scope at the same time. Got the rifle shooting ok 32gr bullets touching not bad for me off the car bonnet, 24gr shot less than a 1" spread so may try some of these on rabbits. Took a quick run upto a farm close by that i have, and got me a rabbit @197 yards not bad for my 1st day out with the new rifle must say i love it. :D

Cheers Andy

interesting caliber what sort of damage will this do to a rabbit i dont want to sell them but as long as i can pick them up in kit form

i can feed the various bits to my ferrets and hawk might even be a couple of back legs for myself to devour

cheers BLS:lol:

Guest richness

Promising start with the new rifle, well done - always encouraging when you hit something right away! Half the battle IME with a new setup is psychological... I too wonder what these 24gr bullets could be, never heard of them. I look upon my 20Tac as extending my range a bit compared with .223, with flatter trajectory and more consistency (custom rebarrelling), so I haven't tried 32gr bullets. I first tried the 39grSBK myself and it's a great bullet, though I found a degree of inconsistency in bullet weight so I shifted to the 40gr Nosler BT which shoots slightly better in my rifle. And lots of riflemen dismiss the Hornady V-Max 40gr as inferior, but it might suit your rifle - worth trying? The V-Max served me well for years in 22-250 and .223.

Tony

Yep before you get too far with the 39SBK, I would also recommend trying the 40gr Nolsers instead. They are infinitely higher quality, actually cheaper (which is rare for Noslers) and have a comparable BC in the field, whatever it says on paper ;)

Great cal - best of luck mate :)

Yep before you get too far with the 39SBK, I would also recommend trying the 40gr Nolsers instead. They are infinitely higher quality, actually cheaper (which is rare for Noslers) and have a comparable BC in the field, whatever it says on paper ;)

Great cal - best of luck mate :)

I found SBKs more tolerant of faster then perfect twists and gave a slightly better group. Weight wise SBKs were also slightly more consistent.

A

Guest richness

I found SBKs more tolerant of faster then perfect twists and gave a slightly better group. Weight wise SBKs were also slightly more consistent.

A

Yes 39SBKs are famous for going well when, say, 40gr Vmax won't. For a long time i've had a fast enough twist so it hasn't been a problem for me but if the barrel is a factory barrel the 39gr SBK is a safe bet where other 40gr heads might not be.

Guest richness

A

Hang on...FASTER than perfect twists? do you mean slower?

Yep before you get too far with the 39SBK, I would also recommend trying the 40gr Nolsers instead. They are infinitely higher quality, actually cheaper (which is rare for Noslers) and have a comparable BC in the field, whatever it says on paper..

I agree about the BC similarity, but surprised by your mention of price - most including me find Noslers more expensive... What's your source for them? I'd never tried Sierra BKs until I got a 20Tac and I was very impressed with their terminal performance and accuracy; I did find them a little erratic in grouping, with flyers that suggested variations in weight and/or ogive dimensions, and switched to Nosler BT 40gr. But both these are damn good bullets.

Tony

Guest richness

I agree about the BC similarity, but surprised by your mention of price - most including me find Noslers more expensive... What's your source for them? I'd never tried Sierra BKs until I got a 20Tac and I was very impressed with their terminal performance and accuracy; I did find them a little erratic in grouping, with flyers that suggested variations in weight and/or ogive dimensions, and switched to Nosler BT 40gr. But both these are damn good bullets.

Tony

i get them from midway for £43 for 250, making them £17.20 per 100 :)

i get them from midway for £43 for 250, making them £17.20 per 100 :)

That's very good, best price I've seen for the 20-cal 40gr NBT. I've never dealt with Midway, in part because of their minimum shipping fee - I suppose I could think of something else to buy though... But "expanding bullets" (which might end civilisation as we know it, if anyone could just go out and buy them...) require FAC so how do you get round that without having them shipped via a dealer, who would charge a premium? I've only ever bought bullets face to face, most often from Reloading Solutions.

Thanks - Tony

Hang on...FASTER than perfect twists? do you mean slower?

No, I use them in a 1 in 9 at about 3600 with no problems. Ideal twist is 1 in 11 or thereabouts. They group well, not as well as 50gr Bergers that this rifle was built for but for vermin out a fair way you wont see any difference. More splat with the 39s especially on crows etc.

A

Guest richness

No, I use them in a 1 in 9 at about 3600 with no problems. Ideal twist is 1 in 11 or thereabouts. They group well, not as well as 50gr Bergers that this rifle was built for but for vermin out a fair way you wont see any difference. More splat with the 39s especially on crows etc.

A

Ah, i see :)

Guest richness

That's very good, best price I've seen for the 20-cal 40gr NBT. I've never dealt with Midway, in part because of their minimum shipping fee - I suppose I could think of something else to buy though... But "expanding bullets" (which might end civilisation as we know it, if anyone could just go out and buy them...) require FAC so how do you get round that without having them shipped via a dealer, who would charge a premium? I've only ever bought bullets face to face, most often from Reloading Solutions.

Thanks - Tony

:) well yes I have them shipped to friendly RFds who don't charge. We're generally buying a decent amount of stuff so £8 delivery is very reasonable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

that howa is looking good,in the market for a 204 after xmas,get the hornet sold and ime away,if i can find a one in the barren waste,s of the n/east,keep posting,let us know how she does,,ian

Archived