Hello, new member & Introduction

Andy R

Hi Everyone,

I'm Andy R, I'm used to forums (keen seatrout fisherman) but not really done much on the rifle shooting front- I saw the content of the forum and thought it an ideal place to pick up advice and news and reviews etc. Don't expect too many posts as I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to rifles, and I'm not the greatest marksman (but I can put 5 rounds into a beer mat target standing at 100 yards (90 metres measured) so I'm reasonable at that distance, and know my limits).

As I'm stated I'm a keen fisherman for seatrout and salmon, and when the seasons for these fish are over, turn to shooting- I first picked up a shotgun at the age of 12 and am fast approaching 40, so I've some years under my belt. After the inevitable pigeon decoying and rabbiting, we've got round to properly organising our rough shoot, and put Pheasants down for the first time this year (a massive 175, next year 300!) so I've got 'fox paranoia' and thought I'd get a rifle or 2. So since May I've had an FAC with a .22 long rifle and .223 on it. I've got:

1) CZ Silouette black synthetic stock with a 4-12 x 50 cheap scope on it, great for rabbits with the CCI segmented ammo, I've loved rolling over five or six in an evening- reminds me of my air rifle days with the added bonus of once they're hit they stay hit.

2) a Howa stainless with green Hogue stock in .223, with a Redfield 3-9 x 50 scope and light moderator (A-tec) for foxes, only 2 accounted for at present- though seen many more, but just too far out to pull the trigger, I hope to improve on this as there seems to be a few about on my ground.

Unfortunately I can't get onto my ground by vehicle, so it's all walked up, I'm acting single handed taking standing shots out to about 100 yards on triple sticks, have a 140 tracer with amber, green and red filters, and an ND3 laser on the .223 which is OK but not perfect (transition between the lamp and lazer has been difficult until I relocated the pressure switch to the pistol grip so as to be able to light up the target before switching off the lamp.)

Anyhow, I'm in the market for a new electronic call (mk3 U caller?), and if my 40th /bonus is good enough maybe some night vision as I've cleared up some cubs, but the adults seem lamp shy (not my fault, I've not missed any shots) and I need to get in close (sub 100 yards) to be confident of a shot off sticks.

I'm interested in low price (I know you should spend £1,000's) but something that can give me useable NV in ranges under 100 yards, I've some reservations about the Nitesite (saw it at the Midland Gamefair) and didn't think it was particularly robust or weatherproof for the money, or the NS550 from Pulsar with the lens doubler to get to some decent magnification- or at worst trade in the ND-3 for manybe an ND3-5 x 50 (the bigger one)

Any advice appreciated!

Andy R

Archived