Run out of windage

DaveK

I am lucky enough to have a nice small hand held Variable Torque wrench, its only about 5 inches long and as slim as a cigar ( will torque upto 5.9 N.m) and managed to buy it for a fiver on a car boot a couple of years ago - came off a guy who worked for BT ( part of thier van kit apparently ;) )

Awaiting field test but looks like the 8 thou difference is all it was.

Without the recoil pin the mounts would fit either end but only one was drilled so they fitted one way only.

Test in daylight at the weekend.

Being a sado I worked out roughly that 8 thou ( making a 16 thou movement) is worth over 18 1/2" at 100 yds ;)

P.s. Dave, Mod fitted and chopped barrel at same time to 19.5".

Awaiting field test but looks like the 8 thou difference is all it was.

Without the recoil pin the mounts would fit either end but only one was drilled so they fitted one way only.

Test in daylight at the weekend.

Being a sado I worked out roughly that 8 thou ( making a 16 thou movement) is worth over 18 1/2" at 100 yds ;)

P.s. Dave, Mod fitted and chopped barrel at same time to 19.5".

Same here with the testing. I took the .223 out and boresighted it on Saturday but lost the light before I could do anything else.

I was surprised that so little measurement equates to such a large one at the other end. Makes me wonder if some rifles that appear to be cock on at 100 (which is certainly my sighting in range) are way out at 3-500 because their differences aren't so noticeable at the shorter distance.

Without mod to with mod, bear in mind the rifle and scope had been to bits it shot about 2.5 " low and left at 50yds, usual distance for first zero shot.

I was quite surprised and pleased it was so near.

Then the problems started as I clicked it in and realised how few clicks were left.

Happy with the windage though as it is only 1/4 of a turn off optical center despite the hillver mounts so they can't be too bad unless 2 errors have cancelled each other out ;)

Fingers crossed, sorted.

Archived