Sako 75 advice

triipledeuce,noted....but the 257 is a .473 face,as is the 25-06.

The 6.5x55 Swedish is a .408 face.

Sako use action IV for both the 25-06 and 6.5x55 (and don't do a 257 Roberts) but any issues you had-and there would be some-(Dave "the 6.5 x55 is all different") are not strictly with the action size (alone/at all)? If the donor had been a 6.5x55 Sako actionIV,would you expect ANY issues?

In general,I agree-it it usually pays to be detail aware and even pernickety-several varaibles (as usual). :-)

gbal

A 6.5x55 donor would have been great, and yes It would have been much more straight forward. I'm not

Sure about the uk second hand market, but the 30-06 and 25-06 are way more common over here in the IV actions, maybe the guys with all the 6.5's and not putting them up for sale?

Dorg,thanks,but which one.

Sorry, the one who keeps getting slated for his cheap barrel work.

w

Dorg,sorry I wasn't quite clear-I'd said that there was some unceratinty about the Sako smallest action(s),and you said "

"I sold ***** a shot out one of those"

I was asking 'one of those'-exactly which one (ie action)-not interested in the smith(and You've identified anyhow!)

Which shot out action were you refering to?

g

I'm going to resurrect this topic because it was something that I'd been thinking about myself. I myself am prepared to compromise a little more than Andy with regards to scope in order to reduce the overall weight. Anyway I decided to bite the bullet and initially bought a Leupold 6.5-20x40 off here.At 15.6oz and a varmint hunter reticule & just £300 I thought I had little to lose.

Today I committed to a Sako 75 IV in 25-06 with a McMillan stock for just £600. This I'll initially keep, to keep the cost down, but ultimately I'd like a Chaparral Composites Stock at 1lb 1.6ozs without additional furniture.

Barrel; I'm considering a Proof Research Carbon Fibre barrel from Mik at Dolphin Guns. A 26" Sendero Light in 0.284 weighs in at 3lbs 0.48ozs. I'm trying to do this on a sensible budget, which is why I've gone for the Sako over a custom action. I hope to post pictures once it processes but might need some help there.

BTW, anyone know how much a 75 IV action, trigger mag & bottom metal weighs?

Over & out for now.

Mike

Mike,

The proof barrels are great, but you may struggle to use one with a Sako action, due to the 1.25" diameter tenon on the barrel and the Sako needing a 1.125" diameter.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to resurrect this topic because it was something that I'd been thinking about myself. I myself am prepared to compromise a little more than Andy with regards to scope in order to reduce the overall weight. Anyway I decided to bite the bullet and initially bought a Leupold 6.5-20x40 off here.At 15.6oz and a varmint hunter reticule & just £300 I thought I had little to lose.

Today I committed to a Sako 75 IV in 25-06 with a McMillan stock for just £600. This I'll initially keep, to keep the cost down, but ultimately I'd like a Chaparral Composites Stock at 1lb 1.6ozs without additional furniture.

Barrel; I'm considering a Proof Research Carbon Fibre barrel from Mik at Dolphin Guns. A 26" Sendero Light in 0.284 weighs in at 3lbs 0.48ozs. I'm trying to do this on a sensible budget, which is why I've gone for the Sako over a custom action. I hope to post pictures once it processes but might need some help there.

BTW, anyone know how much a 75 IV action, trigger mag & bottom metal weighs?

Over & out for now.

Mike

Was that from a shop in North Yorkshire by any chance ?

Archived