Screw Cut Thread Query

mildot

Hi just need abit of advise.

I have 2 rifle with 1/2" unf threads on and 2 different mods with the same threads. Now i can swap the mods from one rifle to another without a prob.

However a friend has got a rifle with what looks to be 1/2" thread too. it came with a thread protector which screws on fine. It also screw on fine for both my rifles. BUT if i try to fit either of my mods to his rifles they dont seem to wanna thread on more than one turn!

The thread on his rilfe doesnt look to be 1/2"unef as his protector screws onto my normal 1/2" thread.

Any Ideas?

UPDATE

I have measured with a micrometer the distance over a set amount of turns and they are the same. the outside diameter is 0.5".

I screwed the protector onto one and gave it a wiggle to see how much play there is and then onto the other. His rifle has less play!

Im lost now!

He went for it and used brute force! lol

Apparantly its ok but just nice and snug fit. Must be where tha barrel had an overly worn die/tap!

Guest varmartin

If it was a home DIY tread cut...he probably did use a die ..LOL

There are fixed size and split adjustable dies which have a screw to expand the die for a better fit.

Hexagon rethreading dies are also available to clean up existing threads....maybe he could use one of these ???

Tongue in cheek ;)

Archived