WHAT CALIBRE ARE YOU GRANTED FOR VERMIN

nemasis243

Hi there I am just wondering if any one out there has a calibre over 17rem or 20cal with the condition on your FAC allowing you to shoot Vermin .

I have approached my authority to try and add vermin on my open ticket for my 243 but there is no way they will give it to me. :lol:

I thought that with this new national data base that we are all now on, every one will have to abide by the same conditions? :mellow:

There is a local farmer who has a mate that comes down from Suffolk and he uses a 30 06 and he has vermin for that or so he says?

Any info would be great cheers Andy. :lol:

If you do your homework and make sure you are 100% they cannot refuse you at all.

I have just sent my ticket back to have Fox & Vermin added to my .270, i have made sure everything is 100% watertight and they are not happy they cannot refuse it :mellow::lol: They have tried to close every door on me, but i keep sneaking in through another one :lol::lol:

If you need any help, get in touch and i'll help you as much as i can :lol:

I would think most people have vermin control on their 6mm rifles, maybe vermin control while stalking for some.

As I understand it if you advise that you want to shoot foxes with your .243 and dont want a smaller caliber (you dont want another gun filling your cabinate with a expensive scope on it for occasional use do you !!) then they have to give it to you. They wont want you shooting rabbit etc with it as such but I am sure that you may take a few rabbits etc when out for a fox etc.

If in doubt ring BASC firearms first, they love the authorities stepping out of line and making the law up add hoc to suit themselves.

A

You would be far better off asking for Pest Control than Vermin. Vermin in law is an ill defined term and one that doesn't cross county borders particularly well if you shoot country wide.

Foxes are Small mammals in law and rabbits Ground Game which is what most accept is shootable under the heading of Vermin.

I have Pest Control and Sporting Purposes on all my rifles so am able t decide what is shot with each and every one irrespective of caliber.

Thanks Guys for all the feedback , had a bit of hastle from them when I wanted foxes on all my large calibres but they come back with the old you can shoot foxes whilst deer stalking. got round that one by saying if I go away on a deer stalking trip and want to stop at some friends to do some fox shooting I have to take two rifles and whilst I am able to carry and use one the other would be left in my car with the ammunition for it.I then asked if the Firearms Deptment could give me a letter saying it was ok to leave a firearm in my car and if the car was broken into or stolen I would not be held responsable.

It put them in a position where they had to agree with what I was asking for and finally got it sorted.

In the last couple of hours I have had a phone conversation with my local Firearms officer who is a great guy and is all for the shooting person,he used to be incharged of the forces armed responce unit and was a weapons instructor, so he knows his stuff, he is going to hopefully try and state my case next week to the Lady who is incharge of our Firearms office.

A good friend of mine asked if he could have vermin on his 243 and was told no, he said to her I will get BASC onto it and her words to him were "dont forget who issues your certificate Sir it isnt Basc",

So he backed off from taking it any further.

I might try the Pest Control wording and see if I get any joy from that,

Thanks for your help lads will let you know what happens cheers andy

My Force has tried the same, but as i stated to them, the Firearms Guidance is there for them to adhere to and not make it up as they see fit. When i first asked about it i was told NO, but i did all the ground work and now they are changing my .270 for Vermin/Fox and Deer, but as i say they are not happy about it, i asked them to send it to me in writing why they were going to refuse me so i could take matters further :mellow::lol:

Don't let them push you around, but as i say do your groundwork and leave no stone unturned, it's there in Black & White :lol:

Thanks, :lol: I think the problem they are worried about is there are so many people asking for large calibers for deer/fox shooting that once one has it in an area every body wants it . :mellow:

Archived