"bad morning out!!"

foxing2night

hi boy,s

the weather has not been very good in wales???, and the maze crop is just up now?? and the bloody crows are hitting it hard :D ,, had a phone call of the farmer to saythat he was upset about these bloody crow,s????? anyway i got up at 5.30 and headed off to the farm?? and it rained and rained bloody cats and dogs,,,,,, and boy did i get wet :lol::lol: five crows shot, one rabbit, and two pigeons???? not the best days hunting :lol: , , but the thing that i wanted to share with you all ??? was a barn owle fast asleep on an old tree stump?? the photo was taken with my mobile so you can see how close i got to him before he flew off :lol:

15-05-07_0815.jpg

so come on lads tell us some of your failures ???? as we all have them some times?????

all the best f2n

Hi f2n,

I love to see the barn owls, I have called then in on many occasion, not intentionaly of course but none the less when I get them in so close it makes my night. You know that you have good ground if you have them in your area, so if there is plenty of food for them then charlie will always be on your ground also. If I get to see one of these on a night out I don't care if I see anything else :lol:

At least you didn't get a soaking for nothing pard, and anyway a bad day's shooting is much better than a good day at work :D:lol:

Guest 308Panther

So Far,No turkeys...

Seen a few hens yesterday,nothin today.

It froze this mornin after we got out there

and set up,there was dew and then the temp dropped...

There was frost when we came out.

Wasnt dressed for the colder temps,came in earlier than usual.

Had a big coon come in last night,couldnt shoot it...out of season.

Had the darkest face I've ever seen...there was no "mask"

Thought it was a a big puffy cat,hadto look 3 times to make sure it was a coon.

If it was a cat...Well...It woulda been a dead cat.

There are 3 kinds of cats,House cats,Barn Cats...and Dead cats.(the best kind) :)

308Panther

Hi 308p, I am guesing that you may have frequented the 'small game' forum on AR before it was 'changed' to exclude cats?

There were certainly some characters on there.

Best of luck with the Turkeys

Gareth

het F2N

there is no such thing as a bad day out, its just some are less productive than others :)

now the barn owl is a very special hunter, it has fantastic hearing, thats y its face and surrounding head feathers are the shape they are,to focus the sound to its ears,

species-Tyto-alba-2.jpg

this owl can pin point its quarry very precisely with just its hearing, if you would like to know more here is some info i lifted of a different site on the barn owl.

Flight

Compared to most birds Barn Owls have a very low wing loading (large wings supporting a lightweight body) this means they are able to fly very slowly without stalling and hover in only the slightest lift (rising air). Slow flight gives the birds ample time to locate and pinpoint prey on the ground below, and the low wing loading enables them to pass through the air very gently and hover with minimal effort. The owls' feathers are very soft - another adaptation for quiet flight. The flight feathers are covered in a layer of tiny hairs that trap air within the feather surface and the foremost wing feather (the tenth primary) also has a row of tiny hooks that help to deaden the sound of air hitting the wings' leading edge. Almost-silent flight enables the birds to hear the tiny sounds produced by their small mammal prey and approach them undetected.

barnowl300_tcm9-136550.jpg

Hearing

The Barn Owl's heart-shaped face works in a similar way to our outer ears - collecting and directing sounds toward the inner ears. The ear openings are situated inside the facial disc just behind the eyes. They are shaped differently and placed asymmetrically (one higher than the other). As a result, sounds reaching the two ears are heard very differently. By analysing these differences the owl's brain automatically calculates the exact position of the sound-source. Experiments with captive owls have confirmed that they are able to locate and capture prey in total darkness - using their hearing alone. Barn Owls are especially good at detecting the high frequency sounds emitted by small mammals moving in vegetation, vocalising and chewing. Sensitive hearing is important even when a Barn Owl is hunting in daylight - their prey is often hidden in deep vegetation.

Eyesight No creature can see in complete darkness but Barn Owl eyes are (on average) twice as light sensitive as human eyes. In addition, the owl's low-light vision is highly movement sensitive. In near-darkness humans may see areas of dim light and shadow but little detail. In the same conditions a Barn Owl has a brighter image and can see detail within the shadows. Anything small that starts to move is instantly noticed by the owl but is unseen by most humans. However, anything that keeps absolutely still (even a human at close quarters) is usually ignored by the owl. Amazingly, the Barn Owl's dark-adapted eyes also work well in full sunlight. Barn Owls take little notice of artificial lights that keep still (road lighting, security lights etc.) and may even use this light as an aid to hunting. Sudden exposure to very bright lights (such as car headlights) in dark situations may cause brief visual impairment.

Legs, toes and talonsBarn Owls have remarkably long legs, toes and talons enabling them to catch prey at the base of deep vegetation. The talons are extremely sharp and prey is thought to be killed by foot clenching rather than a peck.

CamouflageWhen viewed from above Barn Owls are quite well camouflaged, as the rough grassland over which they usually hunt is predominantly light brown for most of the year. The most plausible explanation for the Barn Owl's white underside is that it works as an anti-silhouette strategy. When viewed from below birds almost always appear as a dark silhouette. To counteract this, the best colour to be is white

species-Tyto-alba-1.jpg

ATB

Colin :)

nice one col,

that was very interesting!!!!

all the best from wales f2n :)

hi -

do you get to see a few of these fantastic birds down your way,???

you did well to get so close to one in the wild,

ATB

Colin :)

Archived