Night Vision

kip270

Guest 308Panther

Although slightly better than nothing.

Its still Gen 1 NV.

The price is very good,but if you know

someone that has one try and field test it first.

From what I understand of NVG

Gen 1 stuff isnt all that great.

Sorry Kip,but I have been warned off of Gen 1 so many times from

differant people to hold out for Gen 2 or better.

Image clarity and intensifier tube life were the 2 biggest concerns

on Gen 1 stuff.

At that price tho it would be fun to play with,but not with the intention

of spot and stalk.

Just my 2 cents.

308Panther

I use a Night Owl gen1 5x mag unit and for spotting foxes and rabbits out to over 100 yds it works fine particularly with the IR illuminator or if there is a trace of moon light the performance is adequate. I use it instead of keep sweeping round with the lamp, which helps keep a low profile and doesnt alert the shy ones.

For me the rifle scopes are of limited use and very bulky with low magnification so not going there. I have always managed to get even lamp shy foxes without NV gear and it adds to the challenge so I wont be chucking out thousands for the odd occasion when I have difficulty getting on terms with Charlie.

Thats what the 22-250 and 243 win help sort out, they think they are far enough away to be safe and then it all turns red mist :D .

Redfox

I've got one of these already had it for a year, for the money they are OK, with the built in IR on you can pick up the reflection of rabbits eyes out to 50-75yds, bigger animals Fox, Deer, Cows, Sheep etc 100yds+.

You could combined using the NV with a lamp with IR filter it would probably be good out to 200yds.

It's good for picking up animals that are a bit lamp shy, you can spot them, get set up for the shot turn the lamp on and hopefully if it stands still, bang.

If you did combine it's use with a lamp it's just more stuff to carry.

Archived