OK Jonathan just cause you got one. Lets see how we fair on our 1200yds shoot.
My thinking is .243 cal at present and going to build myself something this year so will decide on what first.
Mike

jonathan.
No like a challenge me and looking at .243 seems very interesting as i could build to my own specs, but still trying the .223 cal as well just reckon our marker was a bit unhelpful last time out

mike

Mike,this might help keep the challenges realistic/achieveable.

To achieve parity with the one time bench mark (6.5x284 142g BC.565 @ 2950 ) wind drift at 1000y (70 inches),here are the LItz calculations of what is needed (there are other factors ,but wind is critical):

224: 90g BC .502 MV 3270 fps

6mm: 115g BC .585 MV 3065 fps

6.5mm 142g BC .565 MV 2950 fps

7mm: 175g BC.596 MV 2800 fps

308: 220g BC.627 MV 2650fps

Recoil energy in ft lb/ rifle weight lb for parity224 6.67/10.3; 6mm 7.63/13.5; 6.5mm 9.07/16.29;7mm 10.70/18.9; 308 13.15/23.2

Some competitions have weight limits.

Barrel life is shorter below 6.5,longer above,

There is some compensation possible within calibre-eg a better BC will allow a reduced MV,yet retain parity.

But to a good ball park,these are the comparative constraints/challenges,and are reflected in calibre choices...ber in mind the lighter options are more 'shootable' in terms of fast enough gun handling (essentially low recoil) to have attractions for those who want to fire their string of shots within a wind condition (6BR in low wind for example),and the 30 cal specs are more attainable than the 224 ones-price being recoil which prohibits fast stringing....(accuracy,yes-but most calibres can be good enough-it's wind that is the greatest discriminator -between similar precision rigs-via accuracy (the shooter's skilled judgement of that wind.)

Good local news is that 6mm is relatively doable-fast twist 243w with 115s will give the 6.5 smaller case fashionables a good run,for example.

223rem wannashoots might do well to adopt realistic expectations while they are having fun trying -(or emulate Laurie's heroic work).

Tough enough whatever is chosen-straying from the above is increasingly 'uphill' ..or is that 'more challenging' ? :-)

Enjoy!

gbal

Hello gbal.
Thank you for your technical advice and thoughts which are very well received.
Yes on 243 my thoughts completely with a 115's and the right load, twist rate and barrel length is definitely a good one for me to build.
Thanks
Mike

Archived