I have the red tac rear bag and its very well made and I can recommend it. The only downside to Tirad is the cost of shipping. You need to look for their cheaper rates and I think from memory shipping was another $20 which almost dbls the price from £18 to £32 at $1.5 / £1

I have the red tac rear bag and its very well made and I can recommend it. The only downside to Tirad is the cost of shipping. You need to look for their cheaper rates and I think from memory shipping was another $20 which almost dbls the price from £18 to £32 at $1.5 / £1

Is their any place in the UK that does similar items ?

Kind Regards

Rob

Rob

ive had the same rear bag for years (6 at least)- it was made by Hunters Of England basically its a poly bead filled nylon material that can be used vertically, flat, sideways - anyw way u want and works pretty well in all positions - good for seated off the knee too.

I think a company in wales (TAS ?) now stock HOE gear.

Rob,

Rear bags can make a lot of difference as to how stable you can get your rifle, I though until recently a bag is a bag, until I was given one with a different filling in it - what a difference!

Also the addition of a strap or two can help for use on barricades when doing positional, not absolutly necessary, but will save a bit of faffing about if you need to move or just setting up, the bag stays with your rifle;

DSC00169.jpg

Terry

Terry is alluding to the original filling that was used in the rear bags that we originally built.

We have been using a Urethane rubber pellet for a couple of years now and had never heard of anyone having any problems with their bags, heck, I'd never even given it a second thought and I've been using the bag since the beginning.

I got a call from Terry Cross, the same gun smith who designed the stock on Terry's rifle after I'd sent him a bag to evaluate. He said that he was noticing some weird movement in his rifle when using my bag. He just attributed it to coming off of a cold and didn't really think anything about it until he went back to his old bag and was rock steady again. He had a couple of shooting buddies give both bags a try and they all concluded the same thing, the filling in my bag sucked and his old bag's filler made it much easier to hold steady.

Any how, if it had been anyone other than a guy who wins just about any match he enters, I'd have just let the comments go in one ear and out the other. BUT, since it was Terry, I asked him to send me some pictures of the filler he had in his original bag, which he did.

I called around and found a local supplier who had the same type of filler and he gave me about 20 pounds as a sample which I made several bags out of.

I went to the range to give the original filler and the new filler a work out and found a definite ability to deaden movement of the rifle using the new bag versus the old bag. It is much easier to keep the reticle motionless using the new filler.

I've located a dealer and purchased several hundred pounds of the new filler which should last me a few months if the sales continue as they have been.

So...just because it's a rear bag and you like the shape, you need to consider what's on the inside too.

I am a tight arse yorkshireman......

I have never used a rear bag until recently and getting advice that a bag was required for real accuracy I purchased a couple of exped dry bags and some polly bead filler. The results are great for less than a tenner. But then again I don't think they will stand up to barricade use. They do stand up to the window in the disco when lamping.

P1020090.jpg

I,ve stiil got a few of Rob Hunters bags for sale. I,m selling them for him whilst he,s in Afghan. They look like Scotch,s and are filled with a polyprop bead of sorts. Heavy, dense, and they work. £25 inc post.

I,ve stiil got a few of Rob Hunters bags for sale. I,m selling them for him whilst he,s in Afghan. They look like Scotch,s and are filled with a polyprop bead of sorts. Heavy, dense, and they work. £25 inc post.

Sorry mate, didn't realise this..

Random input:

Having got bored of lugging the weight of bags filled with chipped polycarbonate beads; I've started using a bag filled with 'micro-beads'.

These are like the squashy polystyrene beads found in sit-on bean bags -but waay finer.

I've got a bag the size of the bags in Scotch's pic - but it weighs chuff-all.

The micro-beads don't 'bounce' like the full size polystyrene beads; settle 'solid' and weigh nothing.

Matt,

Bring your bag down on Saturday, we should be able to get to a range on Sunday morning and do a side by side, think you will see what i'm on about :)

Terry

Archived