"Certificate renewel!!"

foxing2night

Hi gents,

I have just got off the phone, talking to a chap who has just put his renewel in with only two days to go???, he left it till the last minute???

When he said that he was going out shooting tonight!!!, he was told that under new rules he could not take his rifle out and that he should lock his guns up untill his firearms certificate comes back????

I allways stock up on what i need and carry about my shooting????

Has anyone herd off anything similar????? or is it bull that which promotes growth and vigour???

I think that they have seen there arse with him for not putting his renewel in as he had it two months earlyer

What do you guys think?????

Leaving it that late is a bit daft really, if his licensing dept is anything like West Mercia he will have had the renewal papers at least a month ago.

He has no grounds now for trying to hurry the renewal up, I havnt heard that 'you need to keep them locked up' etc that sounds a bit iffy to me but, I would get him to clarify his position with his firearms dept with regard to keeping the weapons at home, there are many views and interpretations.

BASC or similar will have the definitive answer but your mate is asking for grief leaving it that late, no excuse really.

Without a current FAC he is holding his guns illegally and he is no different in law to a criminal who has illegal guns for illicit purposes. He needs to take them to an RFD for storage until his renewed FAC is available.

BASC will tell you the same (maybe in different words but the same gist)

When i was living in Scotland, my ticket expired before my new one came through(through no fault of my own) and i had to put my rifle's into storage for a week, before my new ticket came through.

He has left it rather late, and it will be frowned upon by his local force :lol:

325 WSM is correct.

Put the firearms into a registered dealer for storage pending renewal.

Having the renewal details for 2 MONTHS and ignoring them is stupidity and may make the Police wonder if this is the action of a responsible person.

There are enough problems in life without acting like a pratt and adding to them.

HWH

He has one other option, although he has shot himself in the foot by leaving it so late.

He could ask for a Temporary Permit, West Mercia issued me one earlier this year on my renewal.

If he gets this wrong he could loose his weapons!

Stag1933 sums it up perfectly, he has no defence.

I actualy got a visit from my f.l.o before my renewal was due and he isued me with a temp permit so i could carry on shooting until my renewal was through

I got my renewal paperwork 6 weeks before it was due to expire with a letter saying they had a backlog and if the new certificate didnt arrive in time there was no need to lodge firearms and that i was to just carry on as normal. Leaving it to the last minute has fk up written all over it and you can bet they`re annoyed.Hants would have said it was now a new application and not a renewall at that stage, with extra cost. Deffo lodge them at that stage before someone decides a raid is in order for possession with no certificate.

Archived