stalking calibre

Would your 25 be a wooden stocked Manlicher Bri?

Seem to recal speaking to a chap with one at a BDS range day last year in Grayrigg...

One thing, I have to say that I am shooting more deer closer than I ever used to (maybe I am getting better at stalking..)

Anyway, ive found that I get quite a bit of damage with the 25-06 - makes me think I should have a re-think on projectile for this calibre (already considering several options, 120 Gameking, 115 TSX, 120 prohunter)

I get pass through on everything (as I do with the 6.5x284) so its not the bullet fragmenting - the wound channel is far bigger with the 25 than it is say with the 6.5 284 even on stags.

Just something to consider if you dont neck them.......

hi mate, i use 243win and 6.5x55 swed for deer and fox,they do the job very well ,what you got look at is the price of ammo and how common the ammo is . i know i can walk into any gunshop and get 243win ,but that is not the case with my 6.5x55, as i am a reloader its not to bad,also how far are you going to shoot the deer ,most deer shot in the uk are between 80 to 120 yards and as far as shooting deer at 400 yrds ,its called stalking for a reason what ever your choice good luck atb steve

Would your 25 be a wooden stocked Manlicher Bri?

Seem to recal speaking to a chap with one at a BDS range day last year in Grayrigg...

One thing, I have to say that I am shooting more deer closer than I ever used to (maybe I am getting better at stalking..)

Anyway, ive found that I get quite a bit of damage with the 25-06 - makes me think I should have a re-think on projectile for this calibre (already considering several options, 120 Gameking, 115 TSX, 120 prohunter)

I get pass through on everything (as I do with the 6.5x284) so its not the bullet fragmenting - the wound channel is far bigger with the 25 than it is say with the 6.5 284 even on stags.

Just something to consider if you dont neck them.......

Its a manlicher synthetic stainless, and i spoke to you about rebarrelling a .222 it to a 17rem

about 2 year ago. got your number through malmos

Now I remember, ;)

Hi I use my 25.06 for everything from foxes to deer, 120 grain Nosler partition for all deer species, and 100 grain Nosler BT for foxes; both rounds shoot to virtually the same POI.

Only every had one Roe walk away and that was due to a faulty Partition that blew up on the doe’s neck, luckily got her the next morning thank god :)

I have found the 25.06 does everything that I need, and case life seems to be very reasonable with approx 10 loadings before I scrap the brass.

50 grains of IMR 4831 does the job, it also moderates quite nicely B)

Bob

Jay,

Plenty of help and 'things' to choose from or think about. (can I throw in the 6.5 Swede please?)

All I can add is be comfortable and confident in your complete rifle set up and you will only then have to think about the 'Stalk' :wacko:

Terry

• 1 month later...

getting a 25-06 this week - looking forward to reaching out with it during the doe season! as long as it shoots straight!

they are usually very good for groups mine will hold its grouping with no issues and hard hitting rounds..i use home loads madse for me by a good mate but banging round you wont be dissapointed

I would challenge the FEO on the 6.5 bit or do as Stagg suggests, get the biggest 6.5 you can that will make the muppet see sense.

i think i should challenge it really as the 6.5mm restriction seems pointless and if i did get the calibre clearance changed i could get a 7mm08 or a .308

Your FEO has no reason whatsoever to stipulate 6.5 only. Land is cleared, countrywide in 3 bands, rimfire, .22 centrefire, and fullbore [anything over .240 ]

The feo and their dept have a little bit of say in anything bigger than a .30 cal, but thats all. If they refuse you again on request, Tell them to put the denial in writing, and forward it to BASC.The only stipulation they would have, is that the land must contain species of deer suitable for a .30 cal. They would have grounds for refusal if the land only held roe, or munty.

• 4 weeks later...

Some times it just needs the person to challenge what is said with a reasonable argument. I had a stupid English FO tell me a chap could not have a 6.5 om my ground because it wasn't passed.Ha ha what a joke with a call to my own FO it was sorted and the man got his 6.5.ps i had been shooting both a 270 and a 3006 on the ground for 20+ years. Grow a set of balls and tell them what you want were not criminals.

Archived