stalking calibre

i will soon be getting my first stalking rifle and just wanted to ask on here for a bit of advice im limited on my main permission to 6.5mm or below so im leaning towards a 25-06, does anyone on here use 25-06? it will also be used occasionally for foxing and i dont currently reload my own ammo but may do soon. so can anyone tell me is 25 06 a good choice or should i be looking at something else? cheers

My first choice would be 7-08......

However the first stalking rifle I ever used was a 25-06, I took many deer with this in factory guise using 115gr rounds. It deserves a lot of repsect as a hunting round. With a mod it a pussy cat and very flat shooting. Don't let people put you off with it being a long action. In hunting terms there is nothing in it.

kind regards

Dave

I have owned a 25-06 for the last 15 years (been through two barrels) and its my main stalking calibre, the other main stalker is a 6.5x284.

Both get used alot.

The 25-06 is the match for any UK deer species,

100 -120grain bullets are the choice at circa 3000 fps its quite flat out to 250 yards.

Long action maybe, but that not an issue really.

Just seen andy's reply, the 6.5x.284 is another great round. It is though a hand loaders calibre. Much more expensive to get into and set up for. This was my primary choice when I was looking for my first rifle. Cost being the only reason I went with the 7mm.

Hi Jay

I am always envious of a man looking to buy a new Rifle :)

Do not be too bothered that you are limited to 6.5 and below. Some really excellent cartridges to choose from. eg.

243, 25-06, 260, 6.5x55.

There are others but you should manage to get factory ammo for these without too much trouble.

At normal stalking distances they will all serve you well. If i were stalking the larger species i would personally skip the 243. Just my opinion and i am sure some will disagree.

Choose the one that floats your boat and enjoy.

Nick.

Hi jay222, I have used my 25.06 here and in Africa and it does the job nicely, taken five species of British deer and loads of African antelope.

Personally I find it an ideal calibre for Foxes and Deer, given the right choice of bullet.

Good luck Bob

I can't understand why 7-08 isn't way more popular in the UK.

It's the No.1 selling std deer calibre in NZ and for good reasons. Efficient, short, inherently accurate and great range of projectiles. Less boot than a .308. And it certainly levels 'em

I still have a .270 and have owned a .260 but always grab the 7-08 if heading off on a deer trip.

Chris-NZ

i started with a .243 and then moved to the .25-06 and i love it!!!

had this calibre for 4 years now

its just basically a .243 with more ooomph i think ....that way if you doing red deer for example you have puiece of mind of it having bit more punch.

great to reload for..... bit of an issue in my area for getting factory ammo ...

.243 is great starter to and ammo ready available factory wise.

either or bud but i went .25-06 and never looked back

sauer /paul

Is that 6.5x55 or any cal as long as it has a bullet head no larger than 6.5?

Im not from the UK so just trying to get my head around the laws...

Been shooting here for 25 years and even i am still trying to get my head around the laws in this Country :)

Nick.

If you want a really potent 6.5mm cal. look up the 6.5X68 , it will make the eyes of a FEO water and wish he had showed more common-sense.

It has about 2800 ft/pounds of muzzle energy with the 127gr cone-point bullet, more than a .308 Win.

Most recommended distance for sighting-in is 215 yds !

HWH.

Your FEO is talking out of his arse. If the land is passed for 6.5, its passed for fullbore full stop, and you can request any deer legal cartridge.

Your FEO is talking out of his arse. If the land is passed for 6.5, its passed for fullbore full stop, and you can request any deer legal cartridge.

baldie couldnt agree more. plus this particular bit of land has lots of enormous backstops so should be suitable for any calibre

bladie is correct on this , if your land is cleared for a centre fire for deer you can apply for anything up tp .308

The 25-06 is the match for any UK deer species i do agree with that i dropped a big red stag at just over 400 mtrs the other day using a 100grn bullet .the stag did turn round and give me the finger and say i need a 7mm remmag to drop me lol he is now sleeping it off for a very long time !! there is no deer i have ever shot at that as got up from the 25-06 ..it drops them alright :lol:

I use 7mm rem mag, but for a while I have been looking for a smaller less costly calibre to add to my armoury. 25-06 from what everyone seems to be a very reasonable performer. It does have some draw backs, it burns a lot of powder to get the results. You could get the same results from 257 ackley or 250 ackley which both burn about 10 to 15% less powder for equivalent velocities. But these are strictly custom rifles and home loading. 260 remington will do the same thing with heavier bullets, at the end of the day its personal choice. I would have to agree with both baldie and spud once cleared for centrefire deer rifles the land is cleared for upto 308. If he/she persists and you want something bigger, 264 magnum and 6.5 remington magnum or 6.5x68 might make there toes curl but with in the restriction. 6.5x68 is an absolute belter, but it does belt your shoulder a bit and your wallet. Take a little less powder than my 7mm rem mag. Its the basis for 7mm and 30 booboo. Wouldnt liek the barrel life on it either. Good luck with it.

I'd go for the .260 Remington I think. Failing that I know a few people who love their .25-06s and wouldn't change them for the world! If you go for your initial choice I don't think you'll be disappointed.

• 4 months later...

25-06 is sex on legs. Started off on .243win then made the mistake of the a .270 [ sorry to any .270 lovers out there] and finally found the 25-06 and have never looked back.

Use it mainly for deer but have used it for foxing with some 75 grain v max home loads and it just awesome but they wont put on my ticket for foxing so have to sneak around for that purpose.

Archived