benelli m2 semi auto shotgun query

Hi folks

got myself an immaculate benelli M2, never had an inertia driven semi-auto before. question is.....

i put the gun together and altho i followed instruction book etc etc .....

ive noticed that the ejection port doesnt fully close leaving maybe 4 or 5mm of a view of the rotating bolt.....

is this normal ...safe to fire?

might be a daft question but id rather be safe than sorry or bloody hospitalised, ive never had benelli afore so playing safe

there are some photos on the net ive seen have the same so im assuming its normal

all other semi auto i used have been gas operated so new to this one

cheers

sauer / paul

Hi Paul,

Just took out my Benelli M2, to have a look, the protrusion of the the bolt is normal and should look like this:-

IMG_0428.jpg

Regards

Rob

[Rob, I've edited this to link the photo in such a way that it doesn't give access to your whole album; which, I suspect, was not your intent. Apologies if I've made the wrong call. Which airline were all those birds in the hottub from? :huh: -Matt]

That's quite a different cocking handle to mine Rob.

My one is a more traditional hooked handle. Maybe the ones they export to the UK are slightly different to the ones we get. I'm pretty sure the US market ones look the same as mine

Chris-NZ

different cocking handle but not an issue.....

more importantly i can see the bolt protrusion......so im happy camper

im just not used to the non f=gas operated semi-auto

just wanted to be sure...

cool out to play 2 morow

much appreciated and thank you

sauer / paul

Bolt looks fine Paul - the Benelli M2 (as pointed out) is going to be addictive - especially when you come to clean it and don't have to worry about all the gas fouling - it's a doddle to clean.

The charging handle looks like a Nordic Components aftermarket add-on. You can get them and several other styles. MidwayUK stock them and they do make operation easier. ... here: linky

Unlike a gas operated shottie though, being recoil-operated does mean it can be a little more ammo sensitive. Mine doesn't like all 28g loads - occasionally misfeeds so I stick with 32g, but having said that, my mate shoots 28g with his and they are fine. As a comparison, the SX3 my wife has shoots 21g loads that the M2 won't touch. But I wouldn't part with my M2 for any gas operated shottie :rolleyes:

ATB

Tony

took it out to auchterhouse clay ground yesterday, seeing as when i went out duck flighting the ducks forgot to put in an appereance!!!

anyway....yup your right

wow addictive ...what a gun to shoot, didnt matter what i put through it , it just rattled em out i had a great laff!!!

one small complaint.....the "carrier " with the "U" shape in the end cant half crunch yer thumb when yer loading the tube from below....got it caught a couple of times and hooyah!!!!

other than that

superb!!!!

sauer / paul

one small complaint.....the "carrier " with the "U" shape in the end cant half crunch yer thumb when yer loading the tube from below....got it caught a couple of times and hooyah!!!!

other than that

superb!!!!

sauer / paul

Paul,

Glad you liked it.

You can get a modified carrier from a guy named Jeff Cockrum (in the states) - he effectively welds up a new carrier and grinds it to produce a nice rounded end that you can't catch your fingers in. Alternatively, you can get a mate who can weld to do it for you. Make it oversize, then use a grinder to take it down as far as necessary for a smooth fit and easy operation.

atb

Tony

...- the Benelli M2 (as pointed out) is going to be addictive - especially when you come to clean it and don't have to worry about all the gas fouling - it's a doddle to clean...

I'll give you an idea as to reliability.

The farmer/viticulturist who owns the land where our private range is buys 12ga ammo by the small pallet load for bird control in his vineyards. These guys get through -serious- amounts of ammo.

His M2 has digested over 90,000 rounds and he never cleans it! It had some small spring fail somewhere (? in the trigger mechanism) but this was easily remedied. The fact remains it never jams.

If that's not proof of reliability, I don't know what is.

Here's the cleaning regimen for mine:

Remove the barrel, place it muzzle down in a rubbish tin and liberally squirt WD40 or similar down it. Leave overnight then wipe out and the fouling will come straight out. Wipe off the lugs and lug recesses. That's it. Helluva lot easier than centrefires.

Chris-NZ

thanks for all the replies guys

ive emailed jeff and hes already replied he has modified carriers ready to ship so order already placed

tell you what i split the skin rite behind tip o my thumb and its still bloody yarking...you forget bout it then go eat a packet o salt n vinegar crisps ooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyaaaahhhhhhhhh

funny how i mever heard o the thumb carrier thing till after i bought the gun....

still would have bought it tho

again thanks for all the replies and tips

sauer

thanks for all the replies guys

ive emailed jeff and hes already replied he has modified carriers ready to ship so order already placed

tell you what i split the skin rite behind tip o my thumb and its still bloody yarking...you forget bout it then go eat a packet o salt n vinegar crisps ooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyaaaahhhhhhhhh

funny how i mever heard o the thumb carrier thing till after i bought the gun....

still would have bought it tho

again thanks for all the replies and tips

sauer

The carrier on the SX3 is a lot worse... it's actually like a bleddy chip fork!

I've had a few holes in the thumb nail edge from the M2 before I modded it. Instead of feeding the rounds in with thumb vertical, do it about 30 degrees to the side, so the top side edge of the thumb pushes them in. You may get calloused a little from the edge of the receiver against the flesh of the thumb about level with the nail bed but it is better than a bite :unsure:

When you get the new carrier, it's a relatively easy install, but suggest taking the existing one off in a large clear bag to stop any of the springs from the trigger group ending up somewhere behind the sofa.

Also, you *may* get feed problems but it's rare. The reason is, the enlarged tip of the carrier can lift the cartridge high and catch the top of the chamber. If it does, it's fixable but I suggest seeing how you get on.

Believe me... it's MUCH better once it's been changed and well worth the effort.

I have added several other mods to mine:- most you won't need for field work but one or two might be useful

(1) Enlarged safety button (dave's metal works)

(2) Added an Arredondo enlarged plate to the carrier release button. This is a great improvement!

(3) Changed the follower out for a red aluminium one and swapped the mag spring to make it easier to load

(4) Changed charging handle.

(5) Nordic Components +6 extension tube

(6) hi-viz slug sight on the rib

(7) smoothed all the edges of the receiver / ejection port with fine wet & dry paper

(8) loosened it up initially (from new) with a couple of boxes of 50g birdshot. It's now had between 10 and 20 thousand rounds through it and it's been trouble free except where I have done something to affect it.

(9) changed chokes for Briley chokes so don't need choke key

(10)changed carrier for modded one

It's getting abit like a 10/22 - where almost half the gun is no longer original - LOL :wacko:

atb

cheers

Tony

Likewise Tony, the carrier especially

Chris-NZ

Benelli_M2_PSG_Mods.pdf

Rob / Chris,

See attached PDF - I wrote this for a chap a while ago - just a quick rough guide to modding the M2. It's aimed at PSG but is all the same irrespective of use.

Sorry pics are small.. I will take some of mine and post for clarity.

hth

cheers

Tony

Tony,

The go faster bits sound great.

Is the large bolt release eay to install or does it need a bit of gunsmithing work.

Would love to see some pics of it ?

Regards

Rob

Rob,

The large bolt release does require drilling and tapping the release button which is best done by a gunsmith or an engineering company. As long as you have a pillar drill and tapping gear (and are confident with it) it can be done at home.

You can get one that hooks under the forestock and doesn't need any drilling - I'll see if I can find a pic / link.

cheers

Tony

Thanks for that link Tony. I bought an m2 practical a few months back, but its now a different beastie. Its still ported, but has a picatinney rail, and a set of ghost ring [removable ] sights. Mine has the comfortec stock, and the mag cap is around ten i believe, though i plan to replace the tube with a nordic and clamp. I do like the look of that pistol grip stock however.

PS. we keep the dmw,s handles etc in stock.

christ cheese n onion crisps this time and yeah i forgot bout bloody thumb ....till i stuck it in the packet!!!!

( bring a tear to a glass eye )

forgive my usual ignorance but what is "PSG" ? some kinda shotgun competion?

sauer / paul

Thanks for that link Tony. I bought an m2 practical a few months back, but its now a different beastie. Its still ported, but has a picatinney rail, and a set of ghost ring [removable ] sights. Mine has the comfortec stock, and the mag cap is around ten i believe, though i plan to replace the tube with a nordic and clamp. I do like the look of that pistol grip stock however.

PS. we keep the dmw,s handles etc in stock.

Hi Dave,

I bought the pistol grip separately (actually, I initially got it off my Benelli SuperNova - the stocks are interchangeable). I ran a pistol grip for about 2 years or more and found it very useful when loading the gun in the shoulder - it made it much easier to support the weight of the gun held one-handed while using the left hand to load. It's harder with a normal stock but still possible (just need popeye wrists instead of the puny ones I have ;) ) - if you want to try one I can lend you one no probs.

Not sure what barrel length you have Dave but a Nordic +6 tube on a M2 with a 24" barrel means the mag comes just about 1cm shy of the end of the barrel. How many you get in depends on the cartridge length of course but I get 9+1 67.5mm carts in mine.

You can also get an extended magazine cap from Nordic but I have never seen them on sale here. It is about twice the length of the standard cap (which itself is about 2cm ish) - it allows the spring compression to be slightly looser obviously, but it sometimes means you can get one extra round in because it provides a little extra space for the spring to compress into.

Paul - Ian is right - PSG is practical shotgun. It's a comp run against the clock over a series of varied courses of fire (CoF) shooting at either steel plates, large steel plates called "pepper poppers", or card IPSC style targets with buckshot or solid slug. You shoot through apertures, off platforms, prone, off knees, left or right handed etc etc depending on the ingenuity of the course designer. It fantastic fun shooting and one of the few disciplines where it isn't solely won by the most accurate shooter - speed of loading and strategy (how you shoot the stage) is paramount. You are moving around loading and shooting at different firing points usually in a freestyle kinda way. Lots of mechanisms used too - targets that when hit, open a door allowing you to access more targets in that part of the stage, or "bobbing" targets that are triggered by either a target or manual activation by the shooter.

cheers

Tony

This is the fella, Tony. I just removed the open sights, and popped an aimpoint on, otherwise its stock.

Nice Dave. Not tried a scope on mine - does it interfere when you're shooting birdshot?

bet it's great for slug ;)

Archived