What is the closest you have shot a animal

Now I do not shoot all my deer at less than 100yrs, but a lot at over twice that distance but not too much more, so in response to other topics on this site what is the closest you have shot deer. I will start.

I shot a roe doe at 12yrds, this was feeding by a burn in a dip when I came across her. I did not know whether to fix bayonets and charge or what, :lol: she heard the safety come off but it was too late. :lol:

I shot a munty at 14yrds but that was from a high seat so it was not quite the same achievement.

What is the closest the rest of you lads have grassed a deer or fox for that matter?

B-b

Guest A-max

Roe.....buck......10 yards......243.......just served a doe......had to turn the scope down to 4x to see him.......he died happy!!!!(doe never lifted her head!)

Fox.....2-3 yards......10 bore.....2 1/4 oz AAA......BIG hole.......lots of blood........very dead fox!!!!!!

Guest Smeagle

I love to get in close, shot pigs at a meter, right on top of them. Sometimes the pilot gets that close to camels on the run that you just lean out and put it next to their heads and squeeze. Pretty crazy when that happens.

As for foxes we can get them coming right next to the truck having a go at the roos on the back and you just hit em with a shotty if you feel so inclined.

Shot a doe with my 270 at 50 yards in the base of the neck a few years ago, the bullet stopped at the diaphram (fortunatley) but she was flipped over like a tumbler and the damage :lol:

Rabbits - a matter of feet.

Crows - ten yards as they pass overhead with a shottie.

Fox - 70 yards

Feral cat, 12g from the window of the van into the verge at about 6feet. Got the wad as well. That was the end of that particular pilfering pestiferous pussycrat.

z

Was that feral cat wearing its collar and a little bow? :lol::lol::o

B-b

Roe buck about 7yds 243, he was having a nice little doze in the sun and looking the wrong way when Mr nasty sneaked up behind him.

Roe doe end of barrel 243, she was fast asleep on the side of the track and never even opened her eyes, ( dont call me fairy feet for nothing :lol: )

Fox, walked past the motor and I just popped a 222 back of the head, he was concentrating on the Turkey offal about 30 yds in front of me and he came from behind.

The best fox was sniffing in the hedge and I followed him slowly up the road in the car, he turned into the field gate and I followed him in stopped and popped him about twenty yards in front and now he lives on my wall.SV600001-1.jpg

The AVATAR was sat under a bush to the side of the Disco and failed to spot the approaching 22rf sub from about 8-9 yds away!

redfox

roe buck 10yds would like to think it was good stalking skills but he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time(for him anyway)

shot a fox last week out of the bedroom window 12yds with rimfire(she wont mess with my chickens anymore) :)

shot a fox 2 summers ago with the shotgun probably at 3 yards, saw it go into a little wood so stalked in the other side of the wood to cut it off and stood against a tree along the path, let her get right close and let rip with the bakial

I shot a fox last year at about 5 ft, with the shotgun, had to step back as he was crossing so close in sugarbeet.

a couple of years ago we twatted a sleeping fox using a walking stick, he never woke up :lol:

Doe and two kids all within 30 yds, I was out of site to them, and just waited til the kids came back to have a look at Mum. might have been a short shot but hell it was a long way back with three in the sack. :lol:

GJB

Guest 308Panther

Howdy Boys,

Seen the topic..Hope ya dont mind me jumpin in.

New to the board...Not to pullin a trigger.

Heres a list for ya.

8pt Whitetailed deer 25 feet, .308 Win mod 70

Raccon 2 feet, .22 pistol

Feral Cat,4 feet .22 pistol

Coyote,20 feet 12 gauge Benelli Super Black Eagle

Turkey,20 feet 12 gauge Benelli Super Black Eagle

308Panther

Guest 308Panther

Seems I forgot a couple...

Woodchuck/Groundhog...Whatever ya call'em...I like callin them dead.

1 was at 1foot...the other at 3 feet...both with .22 pistol

308Panther

A mouse with an air rifle at literally inches :rolleyes::blink: , he kept popping his head through a hole in the wall where I was standing, I just lowered the gun down and waited for him to pop back through, sure he went to sniff the muzzle :blink::lol: , as for what we may call proper shots, not including trapped foxes and the like well it's got to be a fox at about 5 or 6 yards, 32 grams of BB on a fox drive ;)

Grey Squirrel……………………………………....................................………….minus 1” :rolleyes:;)

The squirrel was in a cage trap, I put my .22 air rifle though the mesh and poked him a couple of times once he bit the end off the barrel ……………………………..I pulled the trigger. :blink::blink::lol:

B-b

Out lamping with the brother in-law, we spotted a fox mooching in a field at about 150yards, so we started calling for about five minutes, then back on with the lamp, the fox was just sat there, then my brother in-law nearly fell over :rolleyes: A dog fox had come form behind us and ran into his legs nearly knocking him over :blink::lol: The fox went five yards and stood there, "Click" i had forgot to chamber a round :blink: (we had moved onto o fresh bit of ground), but i manged to get a round in and shot him at 80yards ;)

Out checking the pheasent pens with the shotgun, and a Vixen came along doing her rounds and at 10 yards i couldn't hold off anymore ;)

I was handgun hunting in South Dakota and, after a long summer of diligent practice with my revolver, I ended up getting my deer when she suddenly stood up at a range of about 30 feet. I basically drew and fired from somewhere above the hip. She went down hard but started to roll off of her side so I shot her again in the neck with an aimed shot. As to small game/vermin. I guess I've shot young prairiedogs at under 10 feet.~Andrew

Stuck a wild boar with a knife in New Zealand after I had wrestled it on to its back, :lol: the ba****d had knocked one pig dog out and punched a vein in its neck, cost my mate $150 N.Z. in vet bills once it came round. It also “tusksed” my glove ripping it open as I went to stick it, but no damage to me. :lol::lol:

boarinnznoface.jpg

B-b

Stuck a wild boar with a knife in New Zealand after I had wrestled it on to its back, :lol: the ba****d had knocked one pig dog out and punched a vein in its neck, cost my mate $150 N.Z. in vet bills once it came round. It also “tusksed” my glove ripping it open as I went to stick it, but no damage to me. :lol::o

boarinnznoface.jpg

B-b

May be you should be thinking of a name change :o to HOG basher ;):o:lol:

scary stuff I bet!!

scary stuff I bet!!

Hi Paul

It was the most exciting hunting in my life, all I could think about was “saving” the other pig dog as it was having a right scrap with the boar. I did better with the knife that with the rifle, the ones I shot at running I missed. :lol: I did’nt want the Kiwi’s thinking I was a soft pommy puff. :lol:

Killing it was the easy bit I carried for a hour in the snow and my mate carried for the other hour, still it made good eating.

B-b

Archived