6XC

Elwood

FWIW, We had our club championships and Layne Chisholm used his T2K in 6XC to shoot a 771-15X ex 800, to come second to Bill Ellis who shot 771-19X with an AR15 in .223 Rem.

Like I said, it's not all about calibre

• 3 months later...
Sherri Gallagher has just set a new record of 800-53X using a T2k.

Calibre was .260Rem and she shot 142MK's all the way back.

She has broken 6 national records this year and out of 3000pts competed for, has only dropped six.

So you see, it's not the calibre, it's the shooter.

There's plenty of good calibres out there, it's just what you do with them

Whole thread, is an interesting read. Thank you everyone.

Being a complete novice to long range shooting, I had thought 6.5 and 7mm was the way to go? I guess recoil becomes a problem when the bullet weight increases to "X" (whatever that might be).

Not so good news about it being the shooter, rather than the rifle that makes or breaks a good shot. For my part, I had thought an expensive rifle would improve my rather 'average' capability... :rolleyes::)

Wind reading skills are everything.

Some calibers are better in the wind than others but all are effected so unless you spot wind changes you will drop points.

Cheers

Dave

Whole thread, is an interesting read. Thank you everyone.

Being a complete novice to long range shooting, I had thought 6.5 and 7mm was the way to go? I guess recoil becomes a problem when the bullet weight increases to "X" (whatever that might be).

Not so good news about it being the shooter, rather than the rifle that makes or breaks a good shot. For my part, I had thought an expensive rifle would improve my rather 'average' capability... :);)

Many in the US are necking up and rebarreling theit 6XC's to 6.5XC because the barrel life is a killer in a competition rifle.

You also get higher BC's with some of the 6.5 bullets and at the end of the day, velocity isn't the most important thing

Of course all calibres have their fanboys......

Many in the US are necking up and rebarreling theit 6XC's to 6.5XC because the barrel life is a killer in a competition rifle.

You also get higher BC's with some of the 6.5 bullets and at the end of the day, velocity isn't the most important thing

Mark,

that's interesting. I'd often wondered if anybody was doing it, and if not why not, as it's a logical move. There's less need now with the 6.5X47 Lapua I suppose, but the XC case has a couple of extra grains water capacity which might be useful. It has 3.5gn less than 260 Rem, (all according to QUICKLoad) so it fits fairly neatly in between this pair.

A plus for 6.5XC over 6.5X47L for some people would be the large primer. I've found the small primer cratering problem an absolute bugger in my FN (Win 70 action).

If Lapua's barrel life claims for its 6.5X47 turn out to be accurate (allegedly 4,000 rounds) that would see a 6.5XC give somewhere around 3,500. Even if it's less at the 3,000 round mark, it's still a 50% increase over what you said SR / MR shooters are getting.

Incidentally, Brian Fox told me the other week that RUAG will accept small orders from dealers for any Norma case that's in production, so Norma 6CX (and other useful brass such as the Rem SAUM) should be available. What RUAG insists on is payment up front, and it can take a fair while to get delivery as they only place an aggregated order with Norma when it's big enough to justify the international carriage and paperwork

Laurie

• 4 weeks later...

I had (still have) the first 6XC T2k in the UK I think. I started running it with fire-formed Winchester 22/250 Brass and got some good results but the cases were showing signs of loose primer pockets after 4 to 5 reloadings. As a result I imported 2500 Norma Cases from David Tubb in the USA, the official RUAG Agent in the UK was absolutely no help to me in getting the cases from Norma direct into the UK, they would only proceed with a ridiculous minimum order quantity, through a dealer, and at a ridiculous price. In total I'd have had to have about 10000 cases at about 90p each, before VAT. Told them no thanks, finally ended up paying about 45 cents per case when the £/$ was just over $2.00 to £1.00. The Norma cases are top quality and last for 10+ reloadings with a moderate load, when hot the obviously don’t last as long. Barrel life is between 2000 to 3000 rounds, a top shooter would notice a drop off in X-Ring count before the barrel really started to go but a 3000+ barrel will still shoot better than most shooter can, with the T2K you also have the option of using a high round count barrel for short range practice, takes 5 mins or less to change the barrel.

John MH

Mark,

that's interesting. I'd often wondered if anybody was doing it, and if not why not, as it's a logical move. There's less need now with the 6.5X47 Lapua I suppose, but the XC case has a couple of extra grains water capacity which might be useful. It has 3.5gn less than 260 Rem, (all according to QUICKLoad) so it fits fairly neatly in between this pair.

A plus for 6.5XC over 6.5X47L for some people would be the large primer. I've found the small primer cratering problem an absolute bugger in my FN (Win 70 action).

Laurie

Might give a look at the 6.5 Creedmoor, as it seems to be a "middle of the road" cartridge between the 6.5x47L and the .260 Rem. Hornady match brass is available (at least up until the insane run on components), has a large rifle primer, virtually the same case capacity of the .260 Rem, but with the nice longer neck of the 6.5x47L. The side wall is blown out straighter to make up the difference. Dies are relatively inexpensive and easy to find.

Just a thought...

Edit: Oh, and factory ammo is available with the load data printed on the box for each lot. This was done to allow a shooter to interchange factory ammo and hand loads in a match if say they didn't have enough ammo for an alibi relay or some other freak thing where they may not have enough handloads on hand...

Hmm ............ 6.5 Creedmoor. Yes, that's a thought John. I haven't heard of it in this country yet. I wonder if the Hornady importer has bothered to get any ammo. (Or knowing the company concerned, whether it's even heard of the cartridge!)

Thanks,

Laurie

Archived