Not what it should have been

Yesterday there were 13 Red stags in my mates field, taking a huge interest in his recently planted young trees. Unable to get to them yesterday, I told him I would have a look this morning. No reds, but this little bugger

e99ac654.jpge99ac653.jpg

was busy knocking the hell out of the young trees. He was having the time of his life, until he was disturbed, by another buck I think, I never saw it but he kept looking back and had a couple of half hearted barks. Anyway he had to pay the penalty for tree hooliganism, poor little sod.

John

Arent you glad that was not what happened to you when you were a naughty boy! trouble is with new trees unless tubed everything and his brother will have a do at them.

The forestry commission tried to deny that for years but eventually tubed or fenced new plantings in most areas as nothing else works completely.

His mate will be there next and so on, as they are cleaning antlers and then scent marking for the rut.

Redfox

He likes to see the Roe running around his fields, but he likes his trees more, he had to put effort into that. This is the first time he has cracked and let anybody shoot his land. as long as I leave him a doe or two he will be happy. The thing is I used to put a few pheasants down at his place and in the wood (his wood) behind his fields I have seen Red, Roe and Sika. I am thinking that damage to his tree's and a tasty haunch from that wee buck will be enough for him to let me in there on a regular basis, if not he will not have regular venison :)

John

Archived