.22LR Variation successful....what to buy?

Hi all

I got my FAC back today with the .22LR added. So......what to choose?

Background: I currently have an FAC .22 air rifle (Daystate Airwolf, 8 years old) and a Tikka T3x in .223.

I'm looking for something "in the middle" that can grab bunnies out to 100 yds but not spook the neighbours, so I'm looking at subsonic. Yes, the Daystate can do it, but 100yds is towards the far reach and TBH I'm fed up with the faff of getting 12Ltr dive bottles filled, 3 hour round trip. My RFD is 5 minutes away.

So, currently eyeing up Tikka T1x or CZ457, but compeltely open to suggestions. Don't really care what it looks like, and price is also not the main factor, it's accuracy. I know .22LR is wind-susceptible, and drop is similar (or worse) to the airgun, so my eyes are open. But so are my ears, and I'm be interested to know what rifles you'd choose for bunnies @ 100. NB This will also be night, so looking at a DS35 or equivalent scope, but gun first. Finally, nothing in the trees, all ground level with backstop.

Many thanks

Jim

• 7 months later...

As long as your variation is 22RF and not 22LR have you considered a 22wrm? 

If you reload, fill your 223 cases with shellhouse 55 grn gas checked cast in front of a pinch of 2400 around 1700 fps. FWIW, if you go down this route just neck size the cases.

Both are much more consistent at 100 yards (plus) than the 22 lr. I think the 22 lr ballistics are why the 17s took off.

Don't get your knickers twisted about ammo costs for the 22 wrm btw, the difference is worth it.

Either way, a ruger 77 rimfire is a cracking gun, there's several used on guntrader between £150 and £700, you pays your money and takes your chances!

BTW, reason I suggested 2400 is I've used over 3 pounds of it troublefree and 8 grns of it is adequate; it's also insensitive to position ie it'll burn ok however the powder is  distributed in the case. You can get over 750 reloads from a pound of powder and, if you want to keep your bullet costs down, get onto MP molds and cast your own, takes practice to get the technique but not too much.

Sage outdoors in the us is good for gas checks and they are a damn sight cheaper there than here, even when the postal costs are paid.

Currently, using the stocks of components I bought some time ago, 223 ammo is turning out at around £65 for 500, but I only load a hundred or so at a time as I'm not using that rifle too much nowadays, mainly at the range and rabbit head size groups are easily obtainable at 100 yards - regularly even for an octogenarian like me.

Final fwiw, I settled on 2400 but you can use other powders for similar results eg Unique, titegroup and red or green dots but they tend to drop into a pressure spike pdq and I settled on 2400 because for light loads in my 30/30, 308 and hi power loads in my 357 carbine it does them all.

If I didn't have so much of it I'd use lovex D036 as I've started using lovex for full power cf rifle reloads in preference to american imports.

Most RFDs i know will NOT let you buy a .22WMR with a slot that states .22RF ( i thought this was stopped years ago to save confusion and aggravation ) 

the problem comes when you try to purchase ammo its states .22 WMR 

not RF or LR as most already know there completely different types of ammo 

therefore your RFD would be selling you ammunition your not licensed to possess . 

Dont take my word for it , speak to your firearms dept. 

Thanks all. I was surprised to see activity on this thread as it's six months old. I ended up getting a CZ457 in 22LR which I love, and I'm using it with 38gr Eley. However I've not had much chance to use it recently as I ended up with a month in hospital for heart surgery! I hope to use it again in a few weeks.

Jim